The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My Garden
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:41 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

A few weeks ago I spotted a newbie, a type of poppy other than the Red one. It was more an orange colour than yellow. I checked guide and the only one that matched in part [ the leaves are identical although the height is less than stated] was the Welsh Poppy. My mate popped round to check it's ID and we were puzzled by it's colour, three of my guide books give the Welsh Poppy as yellow but this is certainly orange. I said it must be an hybrid. Also my guide book of the 1980s says it's mostly found in Wales and southern Britain. Does anyone have any upto date info?

Not sure if the seed has been dormant for a long time or maybe it was in the songbird mix I 've been putting out this year or maybe a bird pooped it. Certainly not had this poppy in the garden before. I've taken some seed and hope to sow it next year.

As is usual in July the Rosebay Willowherb is growing well, it's between four and five feet high.

Another first is the Elderberry is in flower for first time, also a type of Cotoneaster and the Hawthorn, so looking forward to loads of berries. The juv Starlings and Blackies are taking the berries off the tree in front garden, not sure what it is.

The Marjoram that Colin gave me died last winter even though I'd put it in the frame, haven't got round to getting another one. I've read that Common Fleabane is good for insects etc. Noticed yesterday between showers the Buddleai is almost in flower, I didn't prune any this year.

Kind regards

John :D

Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Another new plant for garden. I found it by chance while pruning and weeding the far end, at first I wasn't sure what it was, so checked guide and it's a Foxglove. It's in flower [pink] and poisonous, reading the guide it says they grow on acidic soil, which I wouldn't have thought mine is. I remember early on this year seeing it when only a few inches high but assumed it was a weed, thankfully left it.

The Rosebay Willowherb is about to flower. Took a snap of another plant which I thought was Bugle but it's Selfheal according to guide. The Welsh Poppy is still flowering.

Spotted a plant other day which is about 18" high and looked to have carrot type leaves and is also about to flower, couldn't make out what it was. Had been wondering if some of the songbird mix had it in. Well yesterday while putting lawn edging in spotted some more of these plants only to spot a CARROT growing, well blow me :oops: no wonder they had carrot type leaves :lol:

Nearly forgot also have a Ragwort plant about to flower, hoping to get Cinnabar.

All for now

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:26 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Been too tired and sleepy to do owt in garden this week except minor jobs so been admiring it instead, and watering the small amount of veg I have and filling the bird/cat water tubs.

The Rosebay WH is now in flower and some plants almost seven feet high, I realise most people wouldn't want this roadside flower in their garden but I enjoy it and the other wild flowers I keep discovering.

Last year purchased a Fennel plant and on getting it home split it into three plants, oddly each plant although planted in different parts of the back garden has grown at different heights. The one outside the french window is almost eight feet high, I think it has grown to that height due to it being next to the house and therefore getting warmth from the house and protection. Another is next to the garage and gets the most sun is about five feet high and the other is about three feet away from the one next to house and it's only about three feet high and next to the Welsh Poppy, which is still producing flowers :) .

I have two plants of the same type of which I have no idea what it is, I mus take it down to the garden centre in the hope they can tell me, it's a low growing shrub with yellow flowers, it flowers for a long period and is lovely.

All for now

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:31 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 3rd 2013:

To update on the plant I didn't know name of, I took a small piece to the local garden centre and asked what it was. I didn't have to take it out the bag before the assistant said it's a Hypericum (Rose of Sharon I know it has) she described it to a tee. I told her that both plants had been growing in shade and one of them was now growing much wider and higher probably due to the tree next to it having had to be removed. At this moment in time it is forming the flowers, oddly the birds didn't eat the berries so maybe they are poisonous.

The Rosebay Willowherb is in full flower and it's usual height of around 6-7 feet. Sitting in the garden and seeing it in flower is for me most enjoyable, rarely see any insects on it.

Had a good show of Daisys this year and the Hollyhocks in the driveway box are stunning with different colors, it's a pleasure to drive home! :D

Not seen any Self Heal this year.

The Burdock plants are growing well with one of them almost in flower. The Rowan branches are heaving with berries. The Fennel is again about seven feet tall, I've picked some of the fronds and used them when poaching salmon, the aniseed goes really well with salmon or any smoked fish I find.

The Sallow put on a good show with the catkins.

Toodle loo

John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The Rosebay Willowherb is still in flower but most are shedding their seeds. The Hypericum hasn't flowered yet so... The rowan is heaving and this year must be the best yet, not sure if to leave the berries for the birds or attempt to make rowan jelly, having never had any not sure if I want to take away the birds food. The Burdock's are in flower and look exotic. The Fennel is still going strong and must be about eight feet tall, I keep taking the fronds off for the salmon mmm.

Had two friends ask for me to save some seed of the Hollyhocks.

Got a few berries on the Hawthorn.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:59 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I've been collecting the seeds of the fennel for drying and got two large bowls full. There is a lovely smell of aniseed each time I go in the back place. The Blackies are hammering at the Rowan berries but there are loads left as I decided not to use them. As yet nothing has touched the wild cherry and it is also heaving, it needs pruning but will wait till all the berries have gone just in case I get a first Waxwing visit :shock:

Some of the sunflower seeds rooted and had a nice show of flowers, so the Goldies will be happy and also took the prickly flowers off the Burdock to dry and then feed them to the birds, not done it before.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:56 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oct 7th:

Noticed the Welsh Poppy has two flowers on, that's the latest I've seen them on, maybe because I've been watering it more, it's nice to see all the same.

Even though the Blackies are hammering away at the Rowan berries there are loads left :D .

No flowers this year on the Hypericum probably due to lack of watering, I cant use an hosepipe cos the tap won't allow a connector, have often thought of an outside tap, so what little watering I do is with a watering can out the butt.

Well chuffed with the sunflowers all from seeds out the feeders.

Looks as if I've got wild carrot again or whatever.

Toodle pip

John :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:50 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Since returning from Scotland just over a week ago been having a wander round, noticed a "new" plant in flower, not sure what it is, it has a small yellow flower and the plant is about two foot high, will check guides. Also spotted a late flower coming on the Evening Primrose "sundrops" which was welcome sight.

Yesterday spotted a dozen Blackies going for the wild cherries plus two Wood Pigeon taking them, not seen them do that before. The Blackies are also taking the Rowan fruit. While away I looked for some Rowan jelly and got a small jar, main reason being want to know if I like it and if I do will hopefully make some another year.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:05 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This past month noticed a great deal of fungi it must be all the wet weather. I have no names for any of them as yet. But took snaps of them

One in the back looked a little like a parasol it was a similar shape and size but it's gone now. Then close by there has been about two dozen small ones about 2" high and same diameter. Yesterday while tidying front garden and hoping to get the dead buddleai cut down spotted about two dozen fungi growing close to the ground with a few developing along the trunk. The cluster are green in colour and about 2" high with the ones dying off going a black colour.

I wonder why this section is not recognising that the English version of COLOUR is spelt with a U, it's underlined it three times how odd :shock: I've just clicked on the Shocked icon and oddly the two spellings of colour that were unlined now are not, but the ones in this sentence are.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 15th 2014:

The Welsh Poppy is now in flower, three weeks earlier than last year, and this is one of the cuttings I took off the original :)

Max

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:33 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Original Welsh Poppy plant now has one flower on.

Both original and cutting both have two flowers on and took some pics :evil: :)

Noticed while sat in garden there looks to be three white bluebells coming through, never had any before.

Max

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:03 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

After I'd been away for a while noticed the Welsh Poppy (original plant) had five flowers on and the cutting I took had nine on and two more plants have appeared close by and they both have a flower on each :D

Regards

Max

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:25 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

June 15th:

The cutting has had as many 17 flowers on, fantastic! The original is still going strong with upwards of ten flowers on.

The Foxgloves are putting on a good show.

Max

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Last weekend noticed best part of a hundred small fungi on a lilac shrub, then took some photos of them and on checking guide they are bracket fungus, that's a garden tick. Also spotted some minute ones on another lilac, both lilacs are still alive but they are quite old.

Was well pleased!

Regards

Max :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 14th:

The back garden is looking great with the Honesty in bloom waiting for the insects to feast on. Forget-me-not is in flower and the Forsythia. Had a decent show from the miniature Iris and Daffs. The full size Daffs are in bloom. The crocus looked nice. The Ribes have been in flower ages what a glorious plant! The Magnolia is full of flowers, hope we don't get a frost.

In front garden the Primula & Polyanthus are a picture and the Viburnum is still flowering. The Lily-of-the-Valley are poking through and the daffs are out. The 1000s of white flowers on the ? tree are a beauty to behold, when I open my bedroom curtains in a morning I'm greeted by this gorgeous sight!!

The Welsh Poppy is putting on growth and I think may be late this year. I counted seventeen Buddleah some older than others.

Toodle loo

Max :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next