The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:13 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

There has been a new emergence of Small Tortoiseshells in the Lincoln area. From seeing just the odd one so far this summer, I had 5 in my garden this morning (Wednesday) in Bracebridge Heath (on Buddleia).

Freddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Same here in Welton le Marsh Freddy. 13 on the Buddlias around the garden. Glad to see some at last.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

17 Small Torts on my Buddlias today. But first day for some time without a Painted Lady!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:16 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Even after the battering my garden took from the thunderstorms of Saturday evening I have just counted at least 25 Small Tortoiseshells on my Buddlias - which still have plenty of flowers.
Only 2 Peacocks and 1 Red Admiral though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:20 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

It is encouraging to see that the trials and tribulations of the Small Tortoiseshell have made the pages of the national press today - page 27 of the "Daily Mail". There is even an attractive colour photograph to accompany the article "The butterfly feeling the chill".
The only problem is that the photograph shows a Plain Tiger, the European/African cousin of the American Monarch butterfly. It is a VERY rare vagrant to the UK.
The article asks the reading public to forward sightings of the (illustrated) butterfly to 'Charity Butterfly Conservation' online : gardenbutterflysurvey.org.

I very much doubt there will be many reports.

Freddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:41 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Just done a thorough search around the garden and have found 41 Small Tortoiseshells!! They are still mainly on Buddlia but also are nectaring on Hemp Agrimony, Sedum spectabilis and Valerian ( white more than red).
Also a single Painted Lady, 2 Red Admirals and a selection of all three whites.
On my bike trips yesterday and Monday I noticed plenty of Small Torts.
There is hope yet!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:44 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Took the little ones to Butlins, Skegness for the day on 30th Aug. Near the entrance one white flowering buddleia held 30 Small Tortoiseshells alone and the species was well scattered around the site as we wandered around during the day. Although I didn't make an overall estimate whilst there they were hard to miss and it wouldn't surprise me that numbers along this stretch of coast were into three figures.

Matthew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Walking through Aby on Thurs 010916 a small flowering Buddleia had 19 Small Tortoiseshells and no other species
In my garden a total of 21.

regards John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Highest count of year of Small Torts and Large Whites on todays ( 060916) S T nnr transect with
39 and 15 also a single Painted Lady ( most feeding on water mint flowers),also 18 small torts 7 Large Whites and another Painted Lady on
my garden Buddlieas.

regards John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:10 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Another count of garden butterflies at 1645 hrs wind had eased and strong sunshine, 23 oc, Small Torts 38
Large white 8, Small White 5 ,Peacock 3, Red Ad 1, Holly Blue 1, Wall Brown 1 ,Speck Wood 1 ,Small copper 1.

regards John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

That's really good news John. I see Peter Roworth is reporting 48 in his garden. I can only manage 24 today so seems to be coastal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:31 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Excellent numbers of Small Tortoiseshells, but hardly any other species, were recorded between Stonebridge and Pye's Hall in the early afternoon today. There was a strong wind, but there was a sheltered belt along the seaward side of the dunes where over 300 were on an abundance of sea asters and the remnants of sea lavender in the pleasant sunny conditions. Nearly all of the butterflies were in this narrow band. I went farther out into the saltmarsh, but there were only a few windblown individuals there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:34 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Yes they do love to nectar on Sea Aster. Do you suppose these two days of wind have moved them towards the coast?
I had 20 on a Spearmint plant in a neighbour's garden yesterday. Nectar sources getting scarcer though!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:09 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

11 Small Tortoiseshells in my garden today, mostly on Buddlia. I do not know where they have come from as there have only been 2-4 over the past week or so.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]