The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi. Quick question. Well, two questions, actually.

I stumbled across a bat roost in an old Green Woodpecker nest-hole on my local patch this evening. Unfortunately, to my shame, I am embarrassingly ignorant in this department. So,

a) Where is the best place to report this?
b) Is there a species of bat that this is liable to be? The roost (of around two dozen) was suprisingly audible from twenty feet away and when they emerged they seemed larger than pipistrelle (which is the only species I am vaguely familiar with).

Many thanks in advance.

Patch YTD: 155

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:00 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Daniel.
Last time , I heard county bat recorder was Annette Faulkner. Look on the Lincs Trust website, there should be a link, or call them on 01507-526667.
Brian.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks very much, Brian.

I got in touch with Annette from the Lincs Bat Group and she got Ian Nixon on the case. He brought a couple of trainees along to observe the roost and take some recordings. It was genuinely fascinating stuff. Here Ian's analysis...

Quote:
Daniel,

Please find attached a sample of the sound recordings I made on Sunday. The common pipistrelle has a peak frequency around 45kHz whilst the noctule echolocation calls are in two parts (a chip, chop sound) around 18kHz and 25kHz respectively. Interestingly before they emerged they concentrated on just the ‘chip’ part which can be seen in one of the snapshots. Also there were social calls which have a different function to the echolocation ‘seeing’ calls but the exact nature of them is not fully understood but is believed to be some form of communication.

I have talked with Annette about the roost and she thinks that it is the first record of a noctule roost in the Fens for many years. But, as is usual with bats, it presents many more questions than it answers – where did these bats come from, where was the roost prior to this year, where do they forage, where do they disperse to and how many were there when the roost was at its peak, to name just a few. It will be interesting to see if they return next year and we might be able to answer some of them.

Thank you very much for taking the time to report the bats and also for your time on Sunday, it is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Ian

Patch YTD: 155

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]