The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My Garden
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On Tuesday went to fetch washing in and as I opened back gate Harry the Hedgehog was trapped between the gate and the concrete step! It must have slipped trying to get out, anyway I opened the gate and after a few minutes it moved. As I came back it was getting through the hole in fence and going about it's business, not seen it since but spotted plenty of poo.

John

Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:43 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Last week found a dead Wood Mouse next to gate at back, yesterday watched a live one enjoying some of the dropped sunflower seed until the moggy came along and stalked it for best part of an hour, it lived to eat another day, but spotted the moggy today under the spirea waiting for her chance.......... :shock:

Max

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:43 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On opening the compost bin was met by a Wood Mouse, not sure who was more surprised, it scuttled out the way before I emptyed three bags of peelings in. I'm not sure it's a good thing to have it and most likely others in the bin but I can't kill it, if others are reading this what would they do.

Max

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:18 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

A week later opened compost bin again to find the Toad sat there large as life :lol:

Oct 7th the Hedgehog was in driveway late evening just about to go under our fence into back garden.

John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:39 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 16th 2012:

At 00:30 spotted two Hedgehog in driveway, I was upstairs checking the windows. Went for camera in hope of a snap or two. If I'd taken the compact I would have got a pic of both of them, but I took the new Nikon and I'm not well versed in it yet so struggled to find the flash, I did take one but ?, went for the compact but when I got back one had slipped away. so got a good snap of one.

Regards

John :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:34 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Update: 12.11

If I'm correct got Harry and Henrietta or the kids hibernating end of garden under plenty of cover, that being behind a fence panel leaned up aginst the main fence and under the big conifer, with a cat kennel(MT) next to it, and two large bags of straw I bought last week which I emptied for them, then put a triple layer of weed control fabric slung over the lower branches of the conifer. I've spotted their entrance behind the panel. Lets hope they survive the winter, if I've got owt to do with it they will. At least they have company of the cat who "lives" next to them in her den, also providing by me and cleaned out every week plus new pillows (made out of a large duvet) THERE IS NO SHORTAGE TO MY SKILLS WHEN IT COMES TO LOOKING AFTER THE WILDLIFE ETC :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

Maybe the above may give a few tips others.

Regards

Max

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:01 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

GOOD NEWS! May 5th 2013

While I was chatting to the moggy at 21:00 I heard a ear-scratching or body scratching sound mmmmmm could that be the Hedgehog I thought, cos I was next to where it hibernated this winter gone and the one I told you about on here. Went for lantern and waited until it came in sight, but after half an hour decided to have a peep behind the panels, didn't need to, it was at the end of the first panel waiting for me to go in. YIPPEE it survived the winter. I initially thought there were two because I'd seen two playing near the den, I will keep a look out. Lets hope it doesn't leave the gardens and goes walkabout!

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 23rd: Noticed Toad at 21:45 looked pregnant to me, got some pics.

Max

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 15th:

While gazing through the back window watching the male Blackie on the ground feeder, spotted something moving underneath, went for the bins and it was a Wood Mouse enjoying seed which had dropped through. Got the P510 and took a few pics and did three videos of it over a period of thirty mins. I enjoyed watching the video later as did my pal today (28th).

Aug 21st:

At 04:20 heard a piercing sound/cry I opened the window and waited for it again, it happened ten mins after the last and sounded quite distant, at first thought it was a Fox. Later in day contacted a pal who from my description said it was more likely a Roe Deer. That's another tick.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sept 27th:

While chatting to next door neighbour he told me the Hedgehog was in my front garden and within a few minutes it came extremely close to us, stopped a few seconds and went back in garden :D It didn't look an adult so assuming it was a young 'un. :D

Regards

John

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:28 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Am back :lol:

While pottering about in back garden noticed the Mr Snugs was full of straw, could it be the hedgehog is living there? That area is normally out of sight with an old fence panel masking it off. Me mate came round and he thinks same, anyway asked him to box the area in with some fence panels I had left over, which he did. Asked him to cut two entrances which he did, it now looks real neat. Yesterday called at seed merchant and got two bags of straw. Later emptied one bag alongside the Mr Snugs and also put some conifer branches on the top of it so it is now as snug as a hedgehog in a rug :lol: Just need to put a roof on it to finish job off. Another mate said I'm a softie when I told him, that's okay cos I am.

Regards

Max

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:20 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

June 3rd 2014:

Spotted Hedgehog during the afternoon, first time i've seen it this year.

June 21st:

Spotted hedgehog at 21:50 running around back garden.

JTG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:13 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 5th:

Seen Hedgehog twice, once in afternoon and then at 23.00 ------ I'd seen it twice out in an afternoon this last two weeks and wondered why. Late evening after the Blackbirds had gone to bed I put out a pile of dried mealworms and then at the time above went to see if the hedgehog was out and about, sure enough it was tucking into the mealworms, so got a pic or two, it just carried on eating.

July 6th:

Found out from my friend the reason the hoggy has been coming out in a daytime, for a drink of water, I have a good number of tubs scattered about for it, birds and cat.

Today (7th) will fetch it a big load of mealworms!!

Regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:06 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 8th went for a load of mealworms ready for hoggy.

July 25th:

I'd been sat in back garden most of afternoon resting my left foot (another story) while having a drink of tea and cakes etc the "new" female Blackbird came within a foot (sorry no pun intended :lol: ) of me collecting scraps etc. It came lots of times then went hell for leather to the forsythia and then came back and forth for thirty mins, I tried to get it to take out my hand but no luck.

Then I noticed Hoggy next to its den , so fetched a bag of mealworms and popped them next to it, it soon started tucking in. So I filled the water tubs and got me P%10 and got comfortable in the chair and started filming the action, in total got twenty mins and a few pics of both the hoggy and the adult Blackbird and it's two brood, cracking stuff! :D :D

July 26th:

Spotted hoggy coming out it's den at 21:00 so fetched another bag of mealworms and spread them close by and filled water tubs and left it to it.

July 27th: spotted a dead Wood Mouse under the niger feeder, not seen one for ages.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:24 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sad news to report :(

On Saturday morning spotted something on the path, looked through bins and it was hoggy. Went and checked and it didn't look well, so fetched it some mealworms and put them right under its nose while I hoped it had one or two fetched some cat food, left that same place and went inside and got breakfast on. Noticed it had moved a little so went and checked, it didn't react or even when I stroked it's forehead but it was breathing just.

Contacted local hedgehog rescue centre but it was continually engaged, so tried the mobile and they weren't answering, so sent a text, they replied two hours later. They were out of town, I was told to put the hoggy in a box with a towel and water, so I used my large cat carrier and placed it in the outhouse where it was cooler and quiet.

The people said they would contact me in the evening on their return, which they did, because they were tried I was asked if I could take it, I would have preferred not to as I've injured my ankle and it's very painful to walk, but said I would for the tiny fella. I arrived at the centre at 21:00 only to find out it had passed away on the journey, to say I was sad was an understatement! They said it most likely caught an infection.

It was only a week ago I was filming it in the back enjoying mealworms and a drink with the female Blackbird. At least I've got videos and photos of the tiny fella. I was told it was a juvenile. I'd like to think I did my best for it, it certainly had a top of the range den.

I told them I would be willing to adopt another given the chance.

Regards

John :(

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next