The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This lesser redpoll drove me crazy over the last three months having periodically frequented the garden since February with numerous others. Unfortunately it was a devil of a job to read the number on the ring. Only possible from photographs taken through the living room window and invariably taken in poorish light. At no time could I read more than two numbers on the ring. Mind you having had one in the hand that had knocked itself unconscious on the living room window I can tell you first hand how small they are. My first attempt at reading the number came back as a linnet and then as a blackcap

Now at last I have a partial answer as to its origin but it was a totally unexpected outcome. I always believed that lesser redpoll came from the north to winter with us but this comes from the south coast. Perhaps it had gone from the north before being ringed in Icklesham?

Thank you for taking the time to report to us details of a bird ring you found. Information about this bird and its movements is given below.
Ringing Scheme: London Ring Number: Y929660 Species of bird: Lesser Redpoll (Carduelis cabaret)
This bird was ringed by Rye Bay Ringing Group as age at least 1 year, sex female on 25-Oct-2012 11:00:00 at Icklesham, East Sussex, UK
OS Map reference TQ8815 accuracy 0, co-ordinates 50deg 54min N 0deg 40min E accuracy 1.
It was found on 15-Mar-2015 time unknown at Lincoln, Lincolnshire, UK
OS Map reference SK9368 accuracy 0, co-ordinates 53deg 12min N 0deg 36min W accuracy 0.
Finding condition: Sight record by non-ringer
Finding circumstances: Field Record
Extra Information: Reported as Y929_60
It was found 871 days after it was ringed, 270 km from the ringing site, direction NNW.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:30 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Congratulations on your persistence, Chris. Ringing recoveries for Lesser Redpolls bear some resemblance to those for Siskins. Over the years there have been numerous reports in autumn and winter of foreign ringed birds from and to most Western European countries both North and south. The site at Icklesham was purposely adapted for ringing and huge numbers of migrants were ringed from the 1990's until recently.
Regards,
Stuart

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]