The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:29 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Record Little Tern
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have just received details of a Lincolnshire Little Tern chick ringed by me in 1993 and found in North Norfolk in 2014, which has set a new British longevity record by 2 years at nearly 21 years. Details are:-

Ringed - as chick - 04.07.1993 Tetney RSPB Reserve.
found freshly dead 08.06.2014 Blakeney Point, Norfolk.

7644 days, movement 88km at 135 degrees

Although it could have easily walked to Norfolk from Tetney to Blakeney in that time, it is likely to have flown a considerable distance, having flown south to West or South Africa some twenty times. Remarkable for a bird that only weighs up to 60 grams (approx. twice the weight of a House Sparrow).

Alan

Post subject: Re: Record Little Tern
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:28 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This is truly remarkable, Alan, you must take great satisfaction from the fact that, not only did your ringed Little Tern enjoy obviously, a very successful life, but also that it helped to add significantly to the understanding of the potential longevity of this wonderful species.

Regards,

Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:23 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Alan,
I've just had a look at the BTO Website and this is only the 10th ever recovery (a strange ringing term for when a ringed bird is found - usually dead!!) of a Lincolnshire ringed Little Tern and only the 13th recovered in Norfolk!
Stuart

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Yes - it's surprising just how long-lived small seabirds can be. I've only had one other Little Tern recovery - also ringed at Tetney RSPB reserve (in 1989) which was caught alive in Belgium some 12 years later. It's a shame that Little Terns are rather stupid when nesting (as they seem to prefer trying to nest in areas of coast line that high tides subsequently wash their nests out), so it's just as well they're long-lived with such poor breeding productivity. Beautiful birds and one of my favourites !

Alan

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]