The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Many will already know through social media but for those that don't, a White Rumped Sandpiper was found last night at dusk on the Yacht Clubs pools (Humberston Fitties). Finders were the Grimsby LBC members and it was thought to be an adult though I am not sure if this has been 100% confirmed.

It was refound at 0630 this morning by Ian Shepherd and was still present at 1200 when Roy Harvey left the area.

Yours informatively
James

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Was just wondering if White rumped Sandpiper was still present.

To err is human. To really louse things up takes a computer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:19 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

still there early afternoon yesterday plus a very nice curlew sand
terry whalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Still present at 1.30pm today and attracting plenty of admirers. Light conditions might me more advantageous for enhanced viewing later this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:27 pm 
North Lincs Bird Recorder
North Lincs Bird Recorder

Still there early pm. Rather mobile but showed fairly well eventually

A couple of pics here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120340949@N03/

John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:44 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

still present today the 5th flew to the rear pond at 13.00 hrs and lost to view,
terry whalin :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:56 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Here's hoping this star bird from America might encourage the RSPB to take a fresh initiative on enhancing the site - and attracting more waders and other birds. Maybe one or two of the adjacent fields could be bought/leased from the farmer and flooded to create lagoons. At the very least, this sadly neglected reserve is calling out for new and updated signage.

Perhaps the Grimsby RSPB group committee could chivvy the top brass at the society's HQ to come up with some options/ideas/ proposals. A meeting could be called with North East Lincolnshire Council (tourism officer Sophie Wignall) and East Lindsey District Council (tourism officer Alison Macdonald) being invited to attend along with an officer from the Environment Agency, someone from the LBC committee and any other interested party.

With a bit of energy and imagination, the RSPB could surely promote this Tetney Marsh reserve ( which stretches from the Humberston Fitties pools to Horseshoe Point at North Cotes) in such a way as to recruit new members in towns such as Grimsby and Cleethorpes plus the thousands of holiday visitors who stay at the Fitties and Thorpe Park holiday sites.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim Wright wrote:
Here's hoping this star bird from America might encourage the RSPB to take a fresh initiative on enhancing the site - and attracting more waders and other birds. Maybe one or two of the adjacent fields could be bought/leased from the farmer and flooded to create lagoons. At the very least, this sadly neglected reserve is calling out for new and updated signage.

Perhaps the Grimsby RSPB group committee could chivvy the top brass at the society's HQ to come up with some options/ideas/ proposals. A meeting could be called with North East Lincolnshire Council (tourism officer Sophie Wignall) and East Lindsey District Council (tourism officer Alison Macdonald) being invited to attend along with an officer from the Environment Agency, someone from the LBC committee and any other interested party.

With a bit of energy and imagination, the RSPB could surely promote this Tetney Marsh reserve ( which stretches from the Humberston Fitties pools to Horseshoe Point at North Cotes) in such a way as to recruit new members in towns such as Grimsby and Cleethorpes plus the thousands of holiday visitors who stay at the Fitties and Thorpe Park holiday sites.

I was just thinking the same thing this afternoon, I reckon it could be nearly as good as Frampton with some management.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I wonder if the wildlife at Tetney would want to encourage those "thousands of holiday makers" Jim?
Cant speak for the "Top Brass" but my personal opinion is that the "Thousands of Holiday Makers" cause a lot of disturbance at Tetney and are the biggest and most time consuming issue facing Tetney RSPB wardens!
In my limited experience your "Thorpe Park holiday makers" and their out of control dogs swimming in the Yacht Club pools to fetch the balls holiday makers throw for them are a menace!
More often than not recently, dad "holiday maker" can be seen trying his best to set fire to the marsh with his barbeque, while grandad and grandkids fly their noisy drones over the marsh and pools, or take the dog onto what they think is their dogs toilet but never pick it up!

Then just when you think you've seen it all this summer, 4 Paragliding "holiday Makers" arrive and fly all around the Marsh!
Some of your "Holiday Makers" arrive at the Yacht Club car park with canoes in tow and begin to paddle up the haven to Northcotes, disturbing everything as they go.
Followed recently by 3 very noisy Jet ski's from Cleethorpes, towing rubber dinghy's.
They really don't need encouraging Jim. #Justsaying

PS: You forgot to invite Natural England to your meeting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Very valid points, Derick, and I admit I have often been dismayed by the very issues that you describe.

But, as Geoff indicates, effective management is the key?

Jim

PS My oversight - I forgot to mention Natural England.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Derick Evans wrote:
I wonder if the wildlife at Tetney would want to encourage those "thousands of holiday makers" Jim?
Cant speak for the "Top Brass" but my personal opinion is that the "Thousands of Holiday Makers" cause a lot of disturbance at Tetney and are the biggest and most time consuming issue facing Tetney RSPB wardens!
In my limited experience your "Thorpe Park holiday makers" and their out of control dogs swimming in the Yacht Club pools to fetch the balls holiday makers throw for them are a menace!
More often than not recently, dad "holiday maker" can be seen trying his best to set fire to the marsh with his barbeque, while grandad and grandkids fly their noisy drones over the marsh and pools, or take the dog onto what they think is their dogs toilet but never pick it up!

Then just when you think you've seen it all this summer, 4 Paragliding "holiday Makers" arrive and fly all around the Marsh!
Some of your "Holiday Makers" arrive at the Yacht Club car park with canoes in tow and begin to paddle up the haven to Northcotes, disturbing everything as they go.
Followed recently by 3 very noisy Jet ski's from Cleethorpes, towing rubber dinghy's.
They really don't need encouraging Jim. #Justsaying

PS: You forgot to invite Natural England to your meeting.

I get the impression that you think the best thing the RSPB could do is fill in the pools and sell the land for camping, is that correct?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:53 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Certainly not Geoff.
I love visiting Tetney. Despite all the obvious problems associated with a Nature reserve adjacent to a council c/park, a holiday and chalet park and a short drive from a popular seaside resort.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim Wright wrote:
Very valid points, Derick, and I admit I have often been dismayed by the very issues that you describe.

But, as Geoff indicates, effective management is the key?
Jim

You should give it a go Jim. Sure RSPB are always looking for volunteer wardens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:50 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

well here we go again lol, this really is a well trodden path, i tried for 5 years when i was group leader to get things done and open up tetney and failed for various reasons, even went as high as the national man at the lodge. the reasons are money, accessibility and safety. the first one is money the reserve is not just the fitties pools it stretch's half way to horseshoe point. the rspb do not own the land that surrounds the area the only real road in is the road i believe owned by the oil company who give permission for access. to purchase land to put an access road in would cost over several million pounds. from tetney lock to the foreshore is about a mile and half. i have never been to the foreshore for that reason, then the safety access with the tide cutting off various area's at certain times makes it unsafe for families etc. i was abused last wk by a dog walker who told me if i objected to dogs i shouldn't go down there and he can do as he likes. who is going to confront them there is dog mess all over, i would welcome someone like you jim to take them on, i would give you a wk, good luck mate. it is no use saying we should do this or that without being prepared to do it yourself, i love all these ideas for someone else to do lol :D lol
terry whalin :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Unfortunately, a thread about this delightful little wader has been hijacked for a debate on the status of RSPB Tetney Marsh and what more could be done to enhance it and attract more birds.

I take responsibility for this and apologise. (I might post a further observation in response to Derick and Terry but only in the chat section).

Anyone seen the w-r sandpiper today?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next