The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:41 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Apologies for posting here but this is where I can maximise member viewings. As Andy Sims and others have informed us, this proposed development is now at the initial Consultation stage. I would urge all members who care about Boultham Mere, to take part in the Consultation, which can be done online at www.lincoln.gov.ik/living-in-lincoln/pl ... h-corridor. It is easy to be fatalistic about these proposals but they can be altered. It just depends on how many of us get involved. Realistically, we are not going to get the development stopped but we have a reasonable chance to get the plans revised to mitigate the likely effects. The development should provide a home for people AND Wildlife. The following points occur to me:-
1. The original development plan (which is on the website) seems to me to be more wildlife friendly with additional lakes S.W. of the Canal, providing a substantial environmental buffer. Why this has been dropped needs to be established as the new plan envisages only a buffer to the N.W., with a substantial part of the NE boundary (adjacent to the Canal) unprotected. This seems to be the location for the new Football Stadium.
2. A simple re-drawing of the new plan by pivoting this area (marked 9) down to the land South of Swanpool would enable a proper environmental buffer to be extended for the whole length of the Canal as far as the bridge (or new bridge as is stated on the plan).
3. The argument for a proper environmental buffer goes far beyond the Wildlife. New Wetland/lakes are a vital flood protection enabling water to be drained northwards away from the development. In addition a proper flood embankment along the northern boundary is justified.

I will be attending the FLOODING AND ENVIRONMENTAL WORKSHOP on 7th September at 5pm-8pm at the Showroom, Tritton Road, Lincoln.
To attend RSVP to Michael.hurtley@Lincoln.gov.uk.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:13 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I don't know the location, but good luck on this, Aidan.

I think your initiative will be strengthened if it is backed by the LBC collectively. This will require a letter/email to be sent to the city council planning department by a member of the club's committee, preferably signed by the chairman or secretary.

This should identify a) what species are at risk of being affected and b) any constructive and practical measures designed to mitigate loss of habitat.

The local media should also be contacted.

Such actions should also serve to raise the profile of the LBC and perhaps attract new members.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:07 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim, Thanks for your comments. I have no contacts with the LBC Committee and do not wish to be seen to be imposing in any way. I will have to leave it to others to pursue an "Official" LBC Campaign (which I would support). In the meantime I will pursue this on an individual basis.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Did you manage to get along to the environment workshop, Aidan? If so, did you feel it was useful/ beneficial?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Only just seen your post Jim. Workshop was suddenly cancelled as I understand there is to be further "Consultation". I imagine there will be announcements in the new year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:16 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

When you click the link in the message, to the council site, it brings up a screen saying that the DNS can not be found. Take it from this that the council has set it up for the consultation to fail.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I will call into City Hall this week to try and find out what is going on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]