The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:09 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Messingham SQ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Had a pleasant walk round Messingham SQ today with Andrew Vaughan - this is one of the more attractive Lincs reserves. The grasses, wild flowers and insect life were spectacular. The highlight was four hobby above the reserve along with two common buzzards
A question for you - does anyone know what happened to the extensive feeding station that appeared last year?

Post subject: Re: Messingham SQ
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:24 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

RE: Feeding Station.

The new warden took it down, well it was destroyed actually.
Hygiene issue..
..Matt Blissett the old warden had given it his blessing for it to be put up.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Watson on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Caused a bit of a stir as I recall. Notices said the feeders were drawing out birds, like the willow tit leaving it open to predation. I don't think I've seen a willow tit there since the feeders went. Also many older folks couldn't manage the rough ground around the reserve and used to just pull in and sit in their cars watching the birds on the feeders. Some local birders used to keep the feeders cleaned regularly. Seems funny that a Lincs Wildlife Trust reserve bins the feeders, whilst they have them at their flagship site.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:37 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

You are right Mark.
I was one of the guys that used to spray the feeders once a week.
I changed my shift pattern and have stopped going so often.
They used be a nice trip out for older colleagues as you say and a lot of people kept the feeders topped up.
They gave a good indication of what was about.
Some said it was the best we did - Dinner at the Car Park before work or a Cuppa before you moved on or just an hour now and again.

I really miss it
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Reading this has made me angry, who is the new warden :?: Come back JD all is forgiven.

There is always someone out to spoil the enjoyment of others :!: :!: :!:

I've not been for some time because I haven't had transport since last October. and when I did in the last few years thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the car watching the birds and especially the squirrel that most birders hate.

Why would the new warden destroy feeders, why didn't he take them home and use them or give them to people who would make good use of them. It sounds as if he has spoiled the enjoyment of many people including me.

What about those people that are disabled and I'm one of them who cannot go any further than the car park unless they have a mobility scooter or some form of transport, the WARDEN has spoiled it for them and me. I have difficulty walking these days and much prefer not to if at all possible because it is too painful!

I'll contact the LWT and see if the feeders can be re-instated, after all its their reserve and I'm a member.

Nearly all the reserves I've visited over the years had a feeding station, has Far Ings still got one. Of the RSPB reserves Blacktoft and Fairburn had them. So why can't my beloved MSQ?????????????????????????????????????? I know my mate SW looked after the feeders etc both here and elsewhere.

Regards

Max =D> [-X [-o< :( :o :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:24 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Rats can be a problem at feeders. They were abundant when I visited the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's Potteric Carr reserve, near Doncaster, in February. I blogged some pictures at http://thewryneck.blogspot.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:54 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim Wright wrote:
Rats can be a problem at feeders. They were abundant when I visited the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust's Potteric Carr reserve, near Doncaster, in February. I blogged some pictures at http://thewryneck.blogspot.co.uk/

Maybe they should put up a sign 'Owl feeding station' where there are many rats, then rat haters wouldn't get so uptight about them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:13 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

If only they had fluffier tails and cuter faces, it would be easier to warm to them.

I was once in a crowded compartment of a London tube train when a teenage girl pulled a pet rat out of her bag and let it run over her head and shoulders. There was almost a stampede for the exit when the train reached the next station.

To my credit, I stayed put.

But I was mightily relieved she didn't release ratty in my direction.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]