The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 7:33 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:30 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This morning I have observed a mistle thrush twice collecting nesting material (plant roots) in my garden at Woodhall. On the second occasion its mate flew in but didn't land with it.
According to BWP and Bruce Campbell/James Ferguson Lees we are right at the end of the breeding season for this species. I'm interested to know if anyone else has had a similar record.

John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:29 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

John, I've just checked my records and I ringed a brood of 3 Mistle Thrushes on July 5th 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:37 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks Stuart,

The female has continued to collect material yesterday and today, dried grasses, accompanied this morning by the male.

John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Like Stuart, my latest from ringing records is July (8th), but I remember a pair in our garden when I lived in Boston that successfully raised three broods, so they must have been even later!

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

An update: Birds are feeding young in a nest high in one of the lime trees bordering Witham Road. I would expect them to fledge in about a week's time.

John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:05 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi John,

Not directly related to nesting Mistle Thrushes, but I saw a group or family party of 10 birds at Woodhall Airfield on 06 July and a party of 9 at Dunston Fen on 15th.

Regards,

David Cohen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Fledging success! Yesterday and today, 25/07 & 26/07, adult seen carrying food to two calling young in trees close to nest site. Food consisted of invertebrates, which looked like larvae and perhaps earthworms but predominantly I watched an adult collecting and carrying rowan berries to the young. This must be quite unusual because that food source would be available only to a very late brood.

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]