The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:48 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: "Private Site"
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:50 am 
Associate PBC Member

So, presumably the same private site (or are there more than one?) has now hosted Pec and LBD this week.

Just out of interest, why is this a private site? Is it on strictly private land, a sensitive ecological area, or what? Has anyone ever attempted to organise access (before you jump on my backs, I presume yes), or is this just one of those sites for those who think they are the elite few???

The only clue we get to this site and its birds existing are gripping pics in the album - surely to stop ******* everyone else off here the best thing is to just keep them out of public eye completely?!

Not getting at anyone here, just an innocent request for information!

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Josh,

In reply to your posting on the "private site".

The site in question is Branston Island which is to the NW of Bardney. It is a triangular area of private farmland which is borded on all sides by rivers and is a flood relief area. There is only one access point into this area which is strictly private and if the farmer sees anyone going in all hell breaks loose, he is not a person you can reason with, we have tried.

The only place you can view from, without problems, is by Bardney Lock and this has been too far away from where the waders were to be any use. However now the levels are dropping the area by Bardney Lock is becoming suitable for waders and they are starting to use this making viewing possible, you are still a long way from the waders unless they come on to the very nearest area.

If you walk down the banks to try to get nearer, the farmer comes down the banks in his 4wd and you feel his wrath, this happened to two birders last week.

If anyone wishes to go, now the waders are coming into the SW corner, they must access from Bardney Lock, not from Short Ferry, and stay on the bank by Bardney Lock and not walk along the bank on the east side of the area.

We did not want to keep this private but felt it was the only thing to do in the circumstances.

Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:39 pm 
Associate PBC Member

Many thanks for this clarification Andy - best give it a miss then!

Lets hope some of the out-of-form south Lincs pits can produce something of this quality soon, the best we have had of late is an LRP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or lets hope that the Branston Island birds decide to make it a bit further down the Witham and pop up in front of my bins at Frampton!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:05 pm 
Associate PBC Member

Paul French wrote:
Or lets hope that the Branston Island birds decide to make it a bit further down the Witham and pop up in front of my bins at Frampton!

Unfortunately (for me!), I imagine that is a hell of a lot more likely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:04 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Its so Private, some people forgot to tell the ones that watch it sometimes.

Post subject: deja vue.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:01 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Deja Vue,brings back memories of childish times when a new important site came into existince up here,the proverbial;"you cannot come on here,I can,Ive got special permission,bla bla bla,the farmer wont like a new face!!!bla bla bla,and thats birders talking at yer rather than to you!!!!!weve enough with farmers without birders joining the mould.sounds a lot like thorne moors,local farmers hate birders there.
rog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:57 pm 
Roger,
A French dictionary is urgently required by yourself, but what is this about farmers not liking birders on Thorne Moors ?
I've only been to this beautifully semi-wild and semi-inaccessible place twice this year and thoughts of farmers were the last thing on my mind.
Lets face it, what profit obsessed, spud face farmer would want to risk turning his 4x4 into a peat bog submarine with himself drowning inside it just for the chance of launching a few swear words at some poor, innocent lover of peace, quietude and one last remnant of "nature" ?

Dave Johnson

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]