The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:13 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Steppe G Shrike
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:37 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I've just been reading on the other Lincs forum about what happened at the twitch. Mayhem by the look of it. But I certainly wouldn't have known it by reading through the different threads on this forum.

I'm pleased I wasn't well enough to attend, not that I go on a twitch anyway. It would have been nice to see the little cracker, but not after reading about some of the antics that went on. For one thing I hate crowds unless going to see a favourite singer etc.

I've seen some excellent shots of the bird in the album by assorted members of this forum and I'd like to know how easy it was to obtain the shots. According to what I read on the other forum it seems that a small percentage of twitchers were intent on getting shots no matter what, some of them have had their photos put on the forum to shame them.

From what I read on this forum the bird in question was very obliging and could be photographed from close range, SO why the mayhem? Was it because too many people were there? I have no idea what it is like to be on a twitch, do tell?

Look forward to all the replies, so that in future if I ever decide to become a twitcher at least I'll know what to expect.

Kind regards

John

Post subject: Re: Steppe G Shrike
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:31 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

John,

What is the name of the forum you are referring to?

Richard...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:12 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Max,
Also being a member of the other Lincs bird forum (www.lincsbirders.freeforums.org/portal), I have read the posts re 'over-active' birders at the Shrike site during the first day or so of its appearance......not acceptable, I agree, but they probably thought it could depart at any moment. In the event, the Shrike is now on its 11th day (also being reported today,17 Nov.).
I went on 12th Nov. and there were about 15/20 birders there, most taking photos. It all seemed reasonably relaxed and certainly no mayhem. The bird approaches to within just a few feet of birders so there are no problems getting some excellent shots. I reckon it would be a good bird for you to 'twitch' and by now you could find that other birders present could easily be in single figures. (Do remember, though, that the bird has already been around for 11 days .....time could be running out.)
Re directions - go to my post in reply to JHBirding's request on the other forum - Lincs Bird Sightings, Steppe Grey Shrike 15 Nov.

( Richard - above are the details of the other forum which we spoke about a couple of weeks ago. )

Regards,

Freddy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:25 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Freddie, you may be amused to learn that Lincs County Council Library Computer would not let me get on to the link you provided as it treated it as a "suspect" forum. They may be right!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:37 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Try
http://www.lincsbirders.freeforums.org/index.php
Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:21 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi, Stuart,
Sorry you had trouble with the 'other forum' link. My suggested www. site is fine for access (and brings you to the 'Parent Directory' of the forum) but Geoff's alternative is probably the 'official' one and, in any case, is one click less!
Hope you've managed to access it by now via Geoff's alternative.

Regards,

Freddy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]