The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:39 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Moved as requested
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi everyone

Hope the movement of this topic meets with your approval.

Happy Easter to all.

Sheila and Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:55 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Freddy, the best read I have had in ages!

According to my Birth Certificate I don't qualify but am off to mother-in-laws this weekend and I am sure I can slip her bus pass out of her purse without her knowing and with a bit of photo-manipulation I could make it my own - what do you think? Pleeeese?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

May I wish you a belated Happy Birthday Freddy! I enjoyed your post a lot and although I'm a long way off being able to join the silver listers (the boys have given me an alarming amount of grey hair lately though! :( ), it certainly gives me something to look forward to!!
Hoorah for the cheerful fun loving birders! :lol: :wink:

Libby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:06 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Freddy Johnson wrote:
The author of "this" (thread) has already suggested its being moved to the Chat Section and,further,has never mentioned anybody's 'chuckle muscles'. So why the ruffled feathers,veiled threat and personally directed sledgehammer wit? (Happy Easter to members of Age Concern - ????)......or,with respect,have I misunderstood some compliment here, - as in Compliments of the Season?
If, on the other hand, someone has a special bone to pick with Max, why not pm him direct. He could reply likewise and we would all be spared the details.(I'm only making a suggestion, not trying to administer the web-site).Most of us know by now that his comments are tongue-in-cheek wind-ups with no malice intended.

Freddy,

It was I who mentioned the chuckle muscles and it was directed at Stuart after an episode last year. He knows I sometimes have a pop at him every now and then regarding the matter. In the trade it's referred to as a "private joke" which I'm sure gives Stuart and myself a giggle. There is no need for a PM unless it makes me laugh.

We can rest assured that your thread won't be moved again, unless the webmaster makes a new section especially for SILVER LISTERS. :wink:

Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:01 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I do hospital radio at the Pilgrim Hospital in Boston, and was found to be unwittingly tapping my foot to what I later found out was a track being sung by Daniel O'Donnell.

Am I now a Silver Lister, or someone beyond help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:06 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oh dear Katherine! I'm afraid you are WAY beyond anyone's help now.
By the way, you'll be in my thoughts this afternoon, 10 past 6, BBC2!! :wink: :D Make sure you're sat down when it starts!

Libby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Katherine,
Daniel Francis Noel O'Donnell was born on 12th December 1961 in Dungloe, Co. Donegal. He cut his first record on 9th February 1983 and married Majella on 4th November 2002. At 46 years of age, he's still in the prime of youth.
Now if you had said you were tapping your feet to a record by another Irish singer, John McCormack (14 June 1884-16 September 1945), that would have been different. He made numerous recordings, the first on phonograph cylinder in 1904. His most commercially successful series of records were those for The Victor Talking Machine Company in the 1910s and 1920s. He also regularly broadcast on the wireless and appeared in a number of sound films. Ah, nostalgia! But even nostalgia is not what it used to be anymore.

Regards,

Freddy

PS. I hope the above is of some interest. The snow hasn't melted yet and one has to keep busy somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:46 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Libby,
I see you're also advising Katherine to take it easy.
Many thanks for the Birthday Greetings - much appreciated and a very kind thought. You are absolutely right in saying that the real secret of our birdwatching hobby should be the relaxing fun element. It should transport us into an almost parallel world of stress-free enjoyment where the main players wear feathers,don't answer back,make no real demands and don't (intentionally) wind us up. Ah! Bliss!

Regards,

Freddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:21 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Libby Hood-Phipps wrote:
By the way, you'll be in my thoughts this afternoon, 10 past 6, BBC2!! :wink: :D Make sure you're sat down when it starts!

Libby.

** SALIVATES UNCONTROLLABLY **

Pilgrim on standby and respirator booked for 18:00 delivery by Emergency Courier!

** Goes off to practice thudding **

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:39 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Mark,
Thanks for your post and its comments. The problem here is that we can't turn the clock back and we can't turn it forward either. However, you could always become an Honorary Member like Terry Whalin and enjoy preparing for the Silver List. I'm sure you will agree that everyone hopes ,one day, to make the Silver List age qualification in a vertical position; the alternative is not worth contemplating, is it? Mind you, (creak,groan,creak), I think one has to agree with what Confucius said (or was it Victor Meldrew) ..."Old Age Ain't No Place for Wimps" - moaners,yes,wimps,no.
I was touched by your comments and indeed by those made by others who posted on the web. Apologies for being a superannuated sentimental old s*d but as they say, you've all made an "old man" feel very happy - which is much better than making a happy man feel very old (some people do manage to do that,unfortunately.) So,for showing a special interest, my thanks to:
You, Mark
Brian
Max
Katherine
Terry
Libby.
Snowdrifts permitting, I plan to be at the "Admiral Rodney" in Horncastle
for the AGM on Tuesday evening and,if we happen to meet up, I hope to have the chance to buy you all a drink in due course (that's a promise, but the list is now closed.) The same goes for Colin and Sheila Jennings who supervised my removal journey in a most courteous and agreeable manner and also for Stuart Britton whose recent wind-up post on the Silver Listers I am sure I misunderstood.
I must log off now as my dear wife has just spotted a RAT at the bird table in the garden. I'll have to prise her off the ceiling somehow.

Regards,

Freddy
PS If anyone reading the above still wants a lift with me from the Bracebridge Heath area on Tuesday, please pm me with tele number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:47 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Freddie,
Me - wind up - never. I've now returned from a non-birding Easter break and have time to reply. As I will not qualify to be a Junior Assistant until May this year I feel as though I'm missing out! The only thing I couldn't see in your original thread was who drives you to these exotic Lincolnshire hot spots!! It must be very difficult to go very far in the winter to ensure you're back home before dark. Finally, I will accept your kind offer of a Horlicks at the AGM tonight. I'm sure I'll recognize the zimmer frame.
Best wishes, Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Stewart,
I know that you are feeling a bit dejected because you can't have any of the real action until May. But cheer up,and as I've told the others in a different context,please be patient and plan for the BIG DAY.
You are quite right about the driving - although I do like driving, I would love to have a regular fellow chauffeur (or chauffeuse) for company but it appears that there aren't that many birdwatching Saga louts in my area. My recent local trips around Lincolnshire and beyond have resulted in (expensive) mileages of 140m,110m,130m and 205m (I always keep lists).....SSSHH don't tell the Greens, but I think I've earned a bit of carbon footprint discount over the years. Mind you, my longest solo driving day-trip was well over 15 years ago now - I clocked up 657 miles doing Folkestone (Kent) (depart 4am) -London (to pick up a non-driving fellow twitcher) and including Clumber Park (Notts) for Honey Buzzard and Hawfinch,Potteric Carr (Yorks) for Little Bittern, then Bempton Cliffs and return via London to Folkestone (2am). A stupid mileage and bordering on the criminal when I look back. I actually like night driving - as Katherine B would add, " That's when the Owls come out".
You are welcome to your Horlicks tonight, Stewart, but I'll be toasting you with something a little stronger - but only a small one as I'm driving (in the dark).
I didn't know that the "Admiral Rodney" would have zimmer frames available tonight but I'll be happy to guide you to one that suits you, if you really can't recognise your usual model amongst the ones on offer.

Cheers,

Freddy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2