The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:32 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:54 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This time tomorrow, I'll be with my parents travelling north for a very great distance to the Scottish city of Perth for the start of our annual holiday. This is an overnight stopover, and on Saturday we'll be travelling as far north as is possible on mainland Britain.

Our holiday base will be the small Scottish town of Tongue. I've heard it's a brilliant place to do birdwatching (there are also seals nearby) so I guess I'll turn into Bill Oddie if I see too many! We'll also be seeing the like of Lochiver, John O' Groats etc.... until Saturday June 30th, when we start for home. We will be stopping overnight in Stirling, before continuing home on the 1st July.

My question is this: have any of you been birdwatching in the far north of Scotland, and what are the best birdwatching locations? what can I expect to see?

ADIOS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I don't have any specific sites to offer but just know that you are going to have a great time so remember to double check you have packed your bins :!:

The good news is that the 'midge index' forecast for next week in Northern Scotland is 'negligible' (Summer midges are a tourists worst nightmare :evil: )

Post subject: holidays
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

hi katherine,
a good site you could look at before you go is fatbirder.com its got a good site guide for scotland, and its easy to navigate round. lets hope the weathers ok i'm up there myself but on the opposite side of the country,and i'm travelling by motorbike and at the minute its looking like i'm going to get wet! the joys of biking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:57 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Bought the Collins Bird Guide now!

Post subject: the far north
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:55 pm 

I'm jealous - the far north is an amazing place.
The cliffs at Dunnet are as far north as you can go without getting your feet wet but they're not very easy to 'work' Try the cliffs at Holborn Head (north of the ferry terminal at Scrabster) and Duncansby Head (beyond John O'Groats) for seabirds including Black Guillemot and both Great and Arctic Skua. Dunnet beach is also good - try the small car park at the southern end. I believe there's a hide overlooking the Loch of Mey. On the way north/south you could stop off at Loch Fleet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:55 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

BREAKING: VERY big possibility of Handa Island!!!!!!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]