The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Disabled birders
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:08 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Which are the best sites in Lincolnshire for birders who are either unable to walk or who can only walk very short distances from their cars?

In his posts, 'Max' has sometimes described the challenges he faces, so it might be worth drawing up a list for the benefit of those in a similar situation.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be wealth of information on the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust's website.

I would imagine most LWT reserve hides are not easily accessed and their car parks may be located away from the main 'action'.

In Cleethorpes, various seafront car parks (notably the one at the leisure centre) might be productive at certain times of the year for coastal waders/ wildfowl and gulls (though sadly not shearwaters or skuas).

The car park at the Humberston Fitties pools also has merit, especially for watching feeding little egret, with the chance of waders on passage and, in winter, little grebes, shoveler, wigeon and Brent geese aplenty in flight. Short-eared owls and marsh harriers are also seen occasionally, and relative rarities such as pectoral sandpiper and black-necked grebe have also been recorded in recent years.

Unfortunately, the car park at Cleethorpes Country Park doesn't overlook the lake which is usually the main focus for birders.

We won't all be nimble for ever. Disability is always a possibility, so it might be helpful if there could be a register of county locations that are friendly to disabled birders, both those living within the county and visitors.

Post subject: Re: Disabled birders
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:14 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Well said Jim!

My favourite coastal site is perfect for those who cannot or have problems walking, and that's Grainthorpe Haven :D .

The only times I get out car is either to take photos/videos if its too awkward to do in car, have a natter or a pee.

Scotton Common Reserve is almost the same as above for me.

Saltfleet Haven I rarely get out car and if I do it's usually for a leak.

Chowder Ness no need to walk.

Keb Wood[/b] I never leave car.

My favorite inland site Black Bank and Carr Dyke again only need to keep within the few yards of car.

Bonby Carrs and Appleby Carrs no need to leave car.

Horkstow Bridge. These have mentioned have maybe changed since my visits.

Nebraska Wetlands only a short stroll to hide but I prefer to watch from my mobile hide.

Have you noticed a theme going on here?

If as is usual in the past, I doubt very much if the well known birders put owt on this thread, so prove to me am wrong, go on help the disabled and maybe we may find new places to visit one day.

Kind regards

Max

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:52 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks, Max, for taking the trouble to draw up that list - I am sure it will be invaluable for any birder who is permanently or temporarily disabled (or recuperating from injury or illness).

Subject to committee approval, perhaps the list might be worth having a dedicated section of its own on the LBC website.

On the same subject, has anyone attending the AGM noticed what a problem it is to access the meeting room at Horncastle's Admiral Rodney Hotel for those who are unsteady on their pins who struggle for breath as they climb the stairs? It's not known as the Top Deck suite for nothing.

And what if there were a fire?

For the sake of disabled attendees, future AGMs meeting should surely be held at ground floor venues?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:36 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I'd like to suggest that a section could be made available for sites to visit for those with walking difficulties etc. Or if that is asking too much why not on the Venues section add the word Disabled Birders and as a sub-heading places to visit once we have clicked on the section. I notice it is hardly used these days, so I think that is a good idea. But the powers that be may not agree.

I'll start the ball rolling with the sites I mentioned earlier if the Webmaster agrees.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

As expected no one added to my list, not much changes does it [-X

Cheers

Max

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:12 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

There is a 900 m easy access trail with 3 viewing decks at Rimac Saltfleetby NNR John, was constructed in 1994,
all accessed from car park and accommodates wheelchairs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:38 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

To update my earlier post, in Cleethorpes, the car park that stretches along the central beach is quite good for bar-tailed godwit, turnstone, sanderling, curlew, knot and other waders in winter - so long as you get the tide times/ light conditions right. Peregrines also occur regularly

You can get decent views while still in the car.

The car par in the leisure centre is better because it offers views over the saltmarsh. More waders (eg golden/grey plover) plus, at migration times, the occasional wheatear and yellow wagtail on the adjacent sand plus loads of hirundines and swifts. Also, the leisure centre has a WC.

Another possibility is the Buck Beck car park (access via Meridian Road) - not bad for the occasional passing Med gull and distant views of terns. If you park, facing away from the sea, migrating warblers and /or flycatchers perhaps occur in the trees and shrubs.

I went to Alkborough Flats yesterday. There is plenty of provision for disabled car parking and the well-maintained footpaths are flat and level. But there are no other facilities and, for anyone who finds walking a challenge, there is a bit of a hump to overcome before you can access the site to watch the waders/ wildfowls/ raptors/ bearded tits etc.

Incidentally, hides are notoriously awkward even for able-bodied birders. Many's the time I've crunched my shins clambering over the benches. Splinters and crushed knuckles are additional occupational hazards.

Last edited by Jim Wright on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:02 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Each bigger reserve should provide toilet facilities away from the main visitors' centre to help those with Crohn's disease and colitis who literally cannot wait for the duration of what can be a long trek back to use the car park toilets.

Also, I've noted that there is a dearth of information out there written in simplified English to help adults with learning/communication difficulties such as Down's Syndrome, Autism, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury, Alzheimer's Disease etc to enjoy the reserves and learn about the wildlife the reserves support. Surely, the RSPB/WWT/Wildlife Trusts could work with learning disability organisations and charities to provide such literature?

In addition to the above, do wildlife organisations do DVDs or YouTube videos that have British Sign Language interpretation & subtitles on them? Are any reserves offering BSL-supported guided tours of their reserves? Perhaps a wildlife-themed sensory room where people with mental health/social/emotional/behavioural/learning difficulties can go and 'chill out'?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

You're right, Katherine, there's a huge amount that could be done. It's not clear if giving encouragement to disabled/infirm folk is particularly high on the agenda of wildlife organisations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:00 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have just noticed this thread and as I've just bought a mobility scooter I'm also looking for places to visit. At Donna Nook I have managed to get up to Pyes Hall from Stonebridge car park but the path is very rough, I can also get partly around the realignment, the seal watching area is well paved and has several benches.
The best reserve for electric horses I've visited is RSPB Frampton Marsh but Gib Point is also OK in parts. I have also looked at Huttoft Pit as the path to the hide was made suitable for scooters but is now rather overgrown and would be a struggle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:14 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

John Walker wrote:
There is a 900 m easy access trail with 3 viewing decks at Rimac Saltfleetby NNR John, was constructed in 1994,
all accessed from car park and accommodates wheelchairs

Well done John!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:19 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

[quote="Jim Wright"]To update my earlier post, in Cleethorpes, the car park that stretches along the central beach is quite good for bar-tailed godwit, turnstone, sanderling, curlew, knot and other waders in winter - so long as you get the tide times/ light conditions right. Peregrines also occur regularly

You can get decent views while still in the car.

The car par in the leisure centre is better because it offers views over the saltmarsh. More waders (eg golden/grey plover) plus, at migration times, the occasional wheatear and yellow wagtail on the adjacent sand plus loads of hirundines and swifts. Also, the leisure centre has a WC.

Another possibility is the Buck Beck car park (access via Meridian Road) - not bad for the occasional passing Med gull and distant views of terns. If you park, facing away from the sea, migrating warblers and /or flycatchers perhaps occur in the trees and shrubs.

I went to Alkborough Flats yesterday. There is plenty of provision for disabled car parking and the well-maintained footpaths are flat and level. But there are no other facilities and, for anyone who finds walking a challenge, there is a bit of a hump to overcome before you can access the site to watch the waders/ wildfowls/ raptors/ bearded tits etc.

Incidentally, hides are notoriously awkward even for able-bodied birders. Many's the time I've crunched my shins clambering over the benches. Splinters and crushed knuckles are additional occupational hazards.[/quote

Hi Jim,

If I'm not mistaken there is tea rooms in Alkboro village, not been in myself but seen it advertised in the past.

Max

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:31 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Katherine Birkett wrote:
Each bigger reserve should provide toilet facilities away from the main visitors' centre to help those with Crohn's disease and colitis who literally cannot wait for the duration of what can be a long trek back to use the car park toilets.

Also, I've noted that there is a dearth of information out there written in simplified English to help adults with learning/communication difficulties such as Down's Syndrome, Autism, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury, Alzheimer's Disease etc to enjoy the reserves and learn about the wildlife the reserves support. Surely, the RSPB/WWT/Wildlife Trusts could work with learning disability organisations and charities to provide such literature?

In addition to the above, do wildlife organisations do DVDs or YouTube videos that have British Sign Language interpretation & subtitles on them? Are any reserves offering BSL-supported guided tours of their reserves? Perhaps a wildlife-themed sensory room where people with mental health/social/emotional/behavioural/learning difficulties can go and 'chill out'?

Well said Katherine, being a Crohn's sufferer for 45 years, when I need a toilet, it's right now not later. Those who belong the charity like myself are issued with a "Can't Wait" card which comes in very handy if caught short and can be used to show those who have a business that we don't have something that can be caught.

The RSPB Blacktoft Sands have toilets which although close to the car park are handy and for me always clean and they have a Disabled Toilet which could be opened with a Radar Key, not been for a while so maybe it's different.

Kind regards

Max

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]