The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: not much chatting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:00 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

We watch for the tide of spring to bring our basket of expectations that make our summer. We pain at the shortcomings, the non arrivals the now rare once common.

The chatter of birdwatchers on this forum is turtle dove-esque. A silent spring, a silent spring.

Post subject: Re: not much chatting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:49 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

And the way to revitalise it is. . . ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oh that is difficult in these techno, social media times. My old fashioned feelings are that a club ethos is like minded people sharing an interest and building relationships with the drive and purpose of the club. Individualism is a lonely pursuit and while it is interesting and rewarding to read of members finds and dramas it is also a few layers away from the connection to a cause that can be personally fulfilling.

I am a member of LBC and apart from some old friends being members I do my own thing and have made very very few ongoing connections with other members. It is clear from the forum that there are many concerns about the land and wild things. We would love connected management of hedges, roadside verges, sea defence management amongst other things. My mind fizzes with the thought of a movement to work with councils and land owners to change a few small details that could make a huge difference. Collective energy supported by LBC science and data could change this county. It could change it only a very small way but it could inspire other counties too and that small way could magnify.

From my dark hole in North Lincs this vision could be a distance from what is already established. My life is busy with many other things apart from birds but this is exactly the reason to go local. To connect the distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:13 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

That's because I rarely come on, otherwise it would be non-stop chat :lol: like the old days enjoying a good wind up at other members expense :wink: , no not wind-up as in fruity sounds :lol:

Cheers

Max

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

If you get a chance, it would be great, Andy, if you could elaborate - especially the bit where you say:"My mind fizzes with the thought of a movement to work with councils and land owners to change a few small details that could make a huge difference. Collective energy supported by LBC science and data could change this county. It could change it only a very small way but it could inspire other counties too and that small way could magnify."
Your observations could be the springboard for a worthwhile discussion by members.
Meanwhile, I agree with Max that a bit of cut-and-thrust creates liveliness, but I accept that it discourages some members from submitting posts.
One option might be to allow posters to adopt a username, thereby concealing their identities, but that would carry risks.
The fact is that, apart from the Rare Birds/ Latest Sightings section, most of the rest of the website has become a little stagnant because so few members are willing to submit their thoughts - probably because they are busy doing other things.
There is still the option to throw the site open to allcomers (perhaps for a trial period). How much more vibrant it would be if there were contributions from birders all over the country/globe. However, this suggestion was flattened when it was put forward at the 2016 AGM, so it would probably be folly to argue for it to be revisited (unless the committee thinks otherwise).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim i am afraid i am leaving the club.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

After more than a decade of membership and almost 400 posts, all of them read with interest, that's sad news, Andy. Why so?

I am quite sure the rest of the membership sincerely hope you change your mind.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]