The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Once it was maybe a delight of a wander across open land, to pick a flower that sways in a space you find reaches your happy gland. Take it home and there, in a small vase or cup on the windowsill, is that delicate flower. A reminder of that wander, your imagination fills in the surroundings with the noise of bees and breeze.

Get caught picking a wild flower today and you risk having your hand chopped off. Taught in schools and by conscientious parents.

However, if you are the Environment Agency it is OK to scythe down great swards of flowers, in their prime, along many miles of the Humber Bank. I need to have this logic explained to me as I can not seem to find any sense of this recent action. Am I naive?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:57 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

One wonders what part of the Environment they are supposed to protect ,
not the vegetation/wildflowers and the birds animals and insect living in it, along river , main drain, and sea defence embankments
A late summer and autumn mowing would be far less damaging, and the taxpayer picks up the bill for this action.

regards John

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:17 pm 

Senseless environmental vandalism Andy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Perhaps it would be helpful if there were to be some sort of co-operation/liaison between the Environment Agency, Natural England, the county wildlife trusts and the highways departments of county councils.

Instead of working together, they seem to operate within silos - each organisation pursuing its own agenda.

If only it had the resources, the Lincolnshire Bird Club would probably also be a valuable partner.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim, I am maybe guilty of naivety as I consider this but I would assume that these departments would, at best, work with each other or, at worst, be in possession of environmental best practices when in control of such large portions of land.

The opportunity to connect landscapes is massive. Nature reserves are becoming museums, a place you may pensively walk around or take children to see things extraordinary. Living landscapes need connectivity and land use is difficult to connect with so many alternative owners with alternative objectives and budgets.

Government bodies such as Councils and Natural England should be less constrained to make such small adjustments to practices on very simple land management. If you factor in the hedgerow management of farms IE the early autumn cutting that wastes berry/fruit crops then we can begin to see the benefit and connectivity.

Imagine this cooperation County-wide and then dream of this action Nation-wide and then Europe-wide and we see tiny benefits magnified into something magnificent. Simple x simple = success

It all seems far too easy and therefore I must be missing some important part that has stopped this practice to date.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:10 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

You've widened, the discussion, Andy, but I agree

The trouble with the concept of "nature reserves" is that many people believe that nature only occurs in them - not anywhere else.

This belief seems to have fed into children who love attending the young people's activities staged at reserves by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust - but don't carry their enthusiasm over into the rest of their lives, either as youngsters or oldsters. (As evidence of this, witness the LBC's low membership of young people).

In an ideal world, there would be no need for nature reserves. "Living landscapes" and "connectivity" would be sufficient - especially if society encouraged a more widespread appreciation of the natural world whatever the setting - urban, rural, coastal etc.

In a sense, TV is another downer. Viewers come to the conclusion that nature is something that only occurs in places visited by David Attenborough etc - not within their own gardens and on their own streets.

Re native hedgerows, what irks me is when they are cut down to not much more than knee height so that they are, in effect, just ornamental with no value for birds or other wildlife. Local councils are just as responsible for this as some farmers. Their overriding priority is to keep nature "neat and tidy".

As for the practice of beach-raking - even in winter - I think I'll leave that topic for another time. . . .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]