The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:46 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Does anyone know if there is any research on the impact of gas-gun birdscarers (as
favoured by some arable farmers) on the breeding/ feeding activity of ground-nesting species
such as skylarks, partridges, lapwings and meadow pipits?

Or indeed on yellowhammers, whitethroats, linnets and any other hedgerow songbirds
that happen to be in the vicinity?

Presumably if these scarers frighten off woodpigeons, rooks and jackdaws, they do
likewise to other species. They are not selective devices.

On a explosion-related subject, is there much known about the impact on bird populations (land
and sea) of wars, past and present?

Was anything registered by any of the First World War poets such as Rupert Brooke
and Wilfred Owen? Were any of them ornithologists?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:03 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

These gas-gun bird scarers are one of the things I hate about Lincs, particularly the one by Stonebridge car park, I wonder if the farmer has something against the people who live in the two houses there? It would be wrong to make noises like that in a town so why is it allowed in the country?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:30 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

In one of the biggest agricultural counties in the country, farmers need to protect their crops from the ravages of Wood Pigeons in particular and gas guns are proved to be effective. From what I read in the paper in towns and cities, particularly Birmingham, they use real guns. I know which I prefer!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:42 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oh, for the days of the Scarecrow (AKA Worzel Gummage)!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]