The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Missing birds
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:54 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Like most of us I feed birds in my garden. I have been doing so for more years than I wish to remember. Over the years I have seen significant medium/long term changes. i.e. Tree Sparrows down from mid twenties to two/three and Goldfinches up from zero to twenty plus.
I feed nyjer, sunflower hearts and wild bird seed mix. Sunflower hearts are presented in a four port feeder and the seed mix in two large six port feeders.
Typically I refill the seed feeders each morning but find the sunflower hearts are often topped up twice per day.
I keep records as 'a maximum number seen at any one time' each four days. Not scientific but just how it developed. Recently records show 35/40 House Sparrow, 2 Tree Sparrow, circa 20 Goldfinch, 12 Collared Dove, 9 Feral Pigeon and single figure Tits. Blackbirds, Finches etc.
I went away last weekend, not unusual, expecting to return to empty feeders, but Nyjer was almost full, Seed mix half full and only Sunflower Hearts empty. Since Monday I have only refilled the Sunflower Hearts once and have not touched the other feeders. All species are still visiting, except Tree Sparrow and Greenfinch but in vastly depleted numbers. The constant twitter of House Sparrows in the hedge has gone. There have been no other structural changes in the garden other than I suspect a few less leaves on the hedge. I'm at a loss to explain the change. Any views or comments welcome.

Post subject: Re: Missing birds
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:24 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Mentioned the same to my wife a little earlier as haven't seen anything on feeders / in garden today or last few days.

Over the last couple of years though have had similar periods so am not to worried. Possibly has something to do with weather and more feeders being available at this time of year. Obviously I don't know if the latter is an issue in your garden.

At present I am just seeing it as a money saving situation.

James

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]