The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Abit of a "fowl" up
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:51 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This afters I went looking for barn owl and with me I had my long lense upon which I very very rarely remove the body..
Driving down the lane I notice a car heading where cars normally don't go but all of a sudden a huge eruption of geese disperse into the heavens (can't count birds like people do) there were thousands of them! Pointing lense at them it just doesn't tell the story due to magnification,but I remembered I had a 17-40 in the back which I have only just started taking with me.So the glued on body is removed & attached to the small lense to catch the dramatic scenes.As im composing the picture & without yet taking a photo a shorty flys by!Panic sets in & rushing about to swap lenses back I nearly drop both bits of glass on the floor along with body & I'm convinced I put my thumb into sensor/mirror hole where lense goes,after a few slow shutter speed blurry pics I decide just to enjoy watching shorty.I found myself following it and quite a distance now from the car.A dog walkers headlights distracted me & made me look back to where I was parked only to see the barn owl majestically floating about where I pulled up.Three dear stood just staring at me as if thinking what's he doing.Anyway lesson learnt,next time I will have small lense connected to a camera body of its own!

Post subject: Re: Abit of a "fowl" up
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:48 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Amusing tale, Andy - at least no harm was done.

I guess most birders have encountered similar scrapes - or near-scrapes.

I'm still sore about ruining a prized pair of Zeiss 10x50 binoculars by dropping them as I was cycling round Rutland Water. I can't bear to make public how much I had paid for them - about two months' salary as I recall.

In fact, Rutland Water has a bit of a jinx on me .At this year's birdwatching fair I lost a Canon Powershot camera - only a cheapie point-and-shoot, but it had some good pix on it. Annoying! Must be more careful in future.

Can anyone top that double-whammy for misfortune?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I've lost my dignity many times by mis identifying things in the company of proper birders. Thankfully i have not lost any kit yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

When out in the field with fellow-birders, I've long since learned to stay silent . . . ever since I incorrectly identified a mallard in flight as a magpie flying backwards.

No, I hadn't been on the bottle! In my defence, the weather conditions had been quite murky and the light was fading.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

A tip regarding photography..
When you find yourself waiting quite a while for a SEO to turn up (or anything) don't wait until there is a kestrel hovering right beside you & starting pressing the trigger to only look at the screen to check your shots to see a display saying "no card".
Use the time that you've been sat all afternoon to check your camera..doh!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]