The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dunsby Fen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Would greatly appreciate it if any members can give me information on the above site i.e. location, best vantage sights, best time of year to visit.
Many thanks.
Ian gordon

Post subject: Re: Dunsby Fen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:52 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hello Ian
Dunsby Fen can only be accessed through the village of Dunsby. A single lane road ends after 4 miles at the Forty Foot Drain and pumping station. The main point of interest is the set aside fields of rough grassland two thirds of the way down on the left which have had SEOs and Hen Harriers in past Winters. However none have been seen this year as far as I know. The winter wheat fields on the right have flocks of Golden Plover and Lapwings and there is a healthy population of Grey Partridge. Parking is difficult as the verges are narrow, but there is room for a vehicle on the left side of the road at grid ref.TF132267 Please park off the road and don't park in field entrances as this antagonises the locals.
Regards
Hugh Dorrington

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:37 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hello Hugh,
Many thanks for the information. I will give it a try in 2 or 3 weeks time as the SEO's and Harriers are starting to show more widely according to various reports I have seen
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:26 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

A Short-eared Owl was present late this afternoon, along with at least three Barn Owls, several Common Buzzards and Kestrels.

I also had brief views of a Marsh Harrier when I arrived, which had green wing-tags. Couldn't make any numbers out though. Worth keeping an eye out for if you visit.

Patch YTD: 155

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]