The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:45 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Opinions banned?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:14 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I refer to Grahame Hopwood's 'Luciana' thread and it being Locked after his last word. It would have been nice to have replied.

I won't speak for Stuart but no 'dig' at Grahame was intended by my comment. I was merely pointing out that not all members and readers of the site are 'Scientific' birders or have jobs involving birding. Some of us just enjoy it as a 'break from reality' and don't care to know Latin names or taxonomy classifications etc.

As Steve pointed out a quick look at a guide would have provided an answer as to the 'Luciana' reference was and so it was no big deal. It was probably also obvious knowing Grahame's location.

Apologies if any offence was caused but I hope the site, and members, aren't going to get too sensitive.

Cheers
James

Post subject: Re: Opinions banned?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thank you James, you can speak for me as I endorse everything you say. My initial comment was as a result of Matthew Harrison's entry - not Grahame's as he included Nightingale so we all new what he meant.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:17 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Unfortunately it would seem Grahame has borne the brunt of the remarks following his Luscinia post, where in fact it is quite evident that my (what I thought at the time was a quite innocent) reply involving the use of the scientific name for White spotted Bluethroat clearly inflamed the situation and I feel now with this latest post I am obliged to offer a reply.

I must admit I am somewhat surprised and bemused at the tone of some of the replies made to the above post. Please allow me the privilege to be able to share some of my personal thoughts. The following should not be interpreted as a rant - it isn't – or that is certainly not the intention. What it is, is an attempt at a response to questions and statements made on the forum regarding the above post and an expression of my personal opinion.

Maybe I have misinterpreted. If so apologies to all, but I'm going to go with how I see things. There did seem to be some strong inference in the responses made that in using a globally recognised way of referring to a bird species, then the forum is not the place and it should not be used. Forgive me, but a) I thought I was contributing to the Lincolnshire BIRD forum (I do not think the comment made deviated from bird related matters?) b) I do not see any forum rules that say the use of scientific names is not permitted and c) in general, the replies given in the post would seem to suggest that there is no place for 'scientific' vocabulary on the forum as it is not widely understood or accepted by everyone (my interpretation). Therefore do they not agree with the statement as to 'Who' the Lincolnshire Bird club is (and to which they are members). I quote:

'WHO are we?
All sorts of people are members, linked by their interest in birds and birdwatching in our county. Our membership covers a wide range of birding experience from the newest "beginner" to "expert". Everyone is welcome.'

Bearing in mind the wording given in the comments within the original post, perhaps clarity could be given as to whether this has changed and if "a wide range of birding experience" is permitted and indeed "Everyone is welcome".

If (as was the case in relation to the original post) my ability to pick up a field guide, look in the Index and determine the scientific name for a bird makes me an "academic" and "scholar of ornithology" then please bear with me a moment while I go and update my CV……………

…………………ok I'm back. That looks better. Now where was I? Oh yes. Scientific names. Please humour me for a moment and permit me some time to expand.

A bird's scientific name is more than just another name for the bird, it's an ornithological classification that distinguishes this one bird species from every other bird in the world – every bird species has a unique scientific name. For example, the common name "robin" might refer to more than 90 birds with the term "robin" as part of their common name, but the scientific name "Erithacus rubecula " is unique to 'our' familiar European Robin

Scientific Names can actually help birders. It isn't of course necessary for birders to learn the scientific name for every bird they see just to enjoy birding, but knowing basic scientific names can be helpful in many ways. Scientific names are standardized and are always the same in any language, but common names can vary widely depending on the exact field guide used and local or colloquial names for the same species. For example, Lapwing, Northern Lapwing, Green Plover or Peewit all refer to the same bird – Vanellus vanellus. Equally Prunella modularis will of course confirm that the Dunnock, Hedge Sparrow or Hedge Accentor is the same species. Names of course change across continents – the Arctic Loon of North America, and the Black-throated Diver of Eurasia can still be identified by their scientific name of Gavia arctica

Birders who travel to countries with different languages may not be able to understand or recognize the common names of birds they see, but the scientific names will be the same no matter where the bird is seen. Birders might not recognize the name macareux moine, but looking up the same bird's scientific name, Fratercula arctica, identifies the French name as the same bird known in English as the Atlantic Puffin or just plain old Puffin to most of us.

Additionally while hearing a bird's name won't necessarily help with field identification, birders who are with a group can use scientific names to help narrow down identification possibilities as they observe the bird. Many scientific names include information that can identify a bird's family – Larus genus birds for the family Laridae, (Gulls), Corvus genus birds for the family Corvidae,(Crows)etc. – which can help birders better understand the relationships between bird species and learn to identify them more quickly.

Learning the scientific names for birds is a worthwhile challenge for serious birders or anyone interested in learning more about their favorite species. Check scientific names in field guides, note them in a birding journal or just look them up out of curiosity, and you will be surprised at how many ornithological names you may already know, and you can enjoy every Hirundo rustica you see.

One of the great things about this absorbing hobby, for which we all get enjoyment, is that we never stop learning. Circumstances (maybe similar to that as presented in the luscinia post) is just the sort of thing that over the years have prompted me to pick up a book and research the meaning of various aspects of the world of birdwatching - and learn – whether it be names, identification, migration or whatever. Turning what may be seen by some as a negative into a positive. It is things like this that expand the mind and why I find the world of birds so fascinating. Not everyone gets the enjoyment out of their hobby in the same way and it is difficult at times to cater for all tastes all of the time. I for one can just accept that. In addition, despite some quite explicit opinions expressed in the original post I will certainly not stop the use of scientific names on this forum if I feel it is supportive to an article or relevant to a posting.

With specific reference to Bluethroat and its status in the county, and particularly the reference to Whisby, may I guide you to the following article on the bird club website. By scrolling down to the section on the Bluethroat it will hopefully shed some light on the matter. As I recall, this article was quite an interesting read. Must have been written by some clever chap. (WARNING – This article contains the use of scientific names for birds!).

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19649

Oh yes, and to consider this as pantomime – well all I can say is that this newly appointing scholar and academic fully intends to continue contributing to this forum for some time to come. In fact, don't look now but, "he's behind you……………"

I personally feel the above is representative of the situation. My comment in reply to the Luscinia post was genuinely made in all innocence, was not meant to distance anyone, and not for one moment did I think it would provoke such strong opinion. If I had also realised it would then detract from Grahame's very worthwhile contribution then I would not have made comment. I am not attributing myself to any particular 'level' of birdwatcher, but the fact that there are varied interests and areas of expertise between those who contribute on the forum then this should surely be embraced and the sharing of knowledge can be beneficial to everyone. There should be a place for all aspects relating to birds on the forum, not just areas that some individuals think are suitable (or not, as the case may be). If in doubt – just ask! Perhaps it is the time to draw on line on light hearted, tongue-in-cheek, whimsical, quirky, wishful comments on the forum. Note to self.

(And that's all I have to say on the matter!)

Yours humbly

Matthew

Disclaimer: The views expressed in the above reply are solely those of the author (me!) and do not (necessarily) represent wider views of the Lincolnshire Bird Club (LBC). In writing this response it is genuinely not the intention to cause upset, distress, alienate fellow birders (ornithologists, birdwatchers, bird enthusiasts, bird spotters, people with a genuine interest in birds or indeed people with just a passing interest in birds) or create absurd pretences. If this has been the case I offer my unreserved apology. In addition I would just like to clarify that no birding egos were harmed during the formulation of this response (I don't think!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I am absolutely delighted I made the initial comment on the Nightingale thread. Why? Well we may never have seen such a comprehensive, authorative and witty response from Matthew. Well done, Matthew and I hope the Administrators don't lock this one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Homo sapien pedanticus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

And you were referring to who in particular Andy?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]