The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:10 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: CATS !!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I had a nice birdy wildlife garden till THREE cats moved in next door. :( Sadly they are all excellent hunters, the feathers prove that. I have had to remove all the feeders and the bird bath for obvious reasons. Now guys, I am looking for suggestions around one of those electronic sonic cat scarers, anyone got one, what model, does it work etc.
And yes, I am aware of the hand grenade, air rifle, house brick ploy, I like yer thinking =D> but perhaps we will stay within the law eh.
So, anyone got any ideas?

Post subject: Re: CATS !!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I bought a sonic bird scarer many years ago cost £49.99, I think it's like the ones the RSPB sell. I wouldn't say they're brilliant but do make the cats more wary and may make them walk behind the scarer or use different routes around the garden.
You would probably be better off getting a dog.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:46 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanx for that Geoff, I was hoping those gadgets might work but I guess the cats win again. Not in a situation where I can get a dog really. I guess it's back to the hand grenades then :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:33 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

:twisted: :lol: :lol: I'm back lads :D

I've had upwards of nine cats coming through the garden in one day! I find a stone or water pistol or showing my presence enough to make them scarper. For twenty years I owned a cat/s and much prefer them to dogs. For two years I owned a set of twin tabby cats, one was lethal and nabbed anything that moved I better not reveal how many victims she got but it was massive, thankfully her sister hardly touched birds but preferred mice. The former tabby disappeared one Xmas Eve after staying two years, her sister stayed here until her death fifteen years later.

I have one that lodges here and has been coming here seven years, I've watched her lots of times stalking the birds but never seen her catch one, but she has nabbed quite a few Wood Mice! I've seen dead birds in the garden be it juvs and adults but I don't know how they met their fate. I have a pair of Sprawk visit and know they have killed quite a few C Dove and smaller birds, cos I've filmed them.

I won't let the cats get the better of me and will continue to feed our little pals.

I saw something on Wednesday while watching from the kitchen I found hard to believe, one of the local moggies clambered up the concrete clothes post and stood on top off the bird table apex and after three attempts at falling off finally worked out a way of getting in it and getting the food I'd put in, I shouted and it took no notice, then "mine" appeared and the other one dived onto the garage roof and I let fly with a pebble :lol: it missed but it didn't come back. I got some wire netting and enclosed the table so allowing just enough room for a Blackbird sized bird to get in.

Good luck Colin!! You will need it :lol:

Take care

Max

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:45 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Problem remains though, I seem to have swopped birds for cats yuk. I hate to admit it but I know they are clever and but for them I guess we would have rats all oer the shop but, somehow, somehow. How come cats can trespass other folk's gardens ? I need one of Baldrick's cunning plans :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:15 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

We had three such electronic cat scarers in our large garden in Southern Spain; they proved useless, and cost a small fortune in batteries, as they attracted a positive response from a variety of lizards, etc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:04 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Darn it, another negative for the sonic scarer. Looks like that is now well out of the frame. Hope someone can come up with something practical.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get a Dog preferably one which kills Cats :twisted: ... I never have a Cat problem ...

All them so called devices do not work . Electric Fence direct to the mains works well =D>

Take nothing but photos - Leave nothing but footprints - Waste nothing but time

My website: http://www.birdmad.com
https://www.facebook.com/dean.eades1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdmad/
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk
http://www.Canon.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Nice one, Dean!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:15 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

i try lion dung it works you can bye it from amozon or go to wild life park the will sale it to you that will stop the cats mybe ive not seen ours for a long time it saveing me a lot of money on cat food . john lusby . ps i do like cats but not other peoples

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:35 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I WOULD ONLY GET A DOG IF I LIVED IN THE COUNTRYSIDE, WHICH I DON'T……... :idea: ANYBODY GOT A NICE PLACE TO RENT AROUND, N LINCS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:30 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Man jailed today for trying to hang his neighbour's cat !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-he ... r-24899550

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:53 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Serve him right. =D>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:12 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Alan Ball wrote:
Man jailed today for trying to hang his neighbour's cat !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-he ... r-24899550

WAS IT A LIFE SENTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:08 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Good news for the cat hate gang, my neighbour spotted what she thought was one dead in her garden, I went to check and yes it was, that's one less for you all to worry about :twisted: :twisted:

Personally I found it upsetting but then I'm a cat lover, especially when I took it away to see if it had a microchip, in case it could be identified, it hadn't and I found out it was a young female oddly there was no signs of how it met it's fate, but I have a few thoughts on the subject!

Max

PS: Just thought of a question to ask you all, when you say get rid of ALL cats what is your definition of cats?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next