The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: CATS !!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:02 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

It must be me, I don't follow this at all, I think I must be in some kind of a parallel universe :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

create a fear factor in the cats. Throw stones or something every time you see one within your boundaries, or on the fence. aim very close and also try to hit something noisy nearby it. they will not stop coming but will be close to flight at any noise. Keep it up and they will be very apprehensive about your space. Don't hit the cat, but don't worry if you do as they need a deterrent.

I did this to our cats when I lived with my Mum. they knew i was a friend inside my house but in the garden they knew it was risky stalking birds. I only had to show up and they were off. Be persistent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I'm sure the cat owners next door won't mind ! I know you are right and that would work but somehow I think it would make for local peace and harmony. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:32 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Andy Sharp wrote:
create a fear factor in the cats. Throw stones or something every time you see one within your boundaries, or on the fence. aim very close and also try to hit something noisy nearby it. they will not stop coming but will be close to flight at any noise. Keep it up and they will be very apprehensive about your space. Don't hit the cat, but don't worry if you do as they need a deterrent.

I did this to our cats when I lived with my Mum. they knew i was a friend inside my house but in the garden they knew it was risky stalking birds. I only had to show up and they were off. Be persistent.

Andy,

As in my previous comments I can only speak about my garden, I can 100% say that throwing stones at or very close to the moggies does get rid of them for a very short time BUT it doesn't stop them coming, they is a fluffy long-haired white cat that is a damn nuisance I know it must have an owner or in a past life was a barber cos every so often it's been shorn, even from me a cat lover it gets a stone or jug of water in the hope of getting rid of it, but as always happens it returns :evil: . A few months ago it had an almighty ding dong with the cat that lodges in the garden, it didn't need a barber that day there was white fur scattered over a five feet area, and "mine" didn't escape it had cuts here and there and was limping.

Colin,

I have upwards of 14 hanging feeders and one ground feeder plus one bird table and the only time I have seen a cat on or near any is a while back on the bird table and it wasn't after the birds, it was after some sardines I'd put out for the Blackies ( the report of it is in General Birding " My Garden" thread).

You have my apologies if you are upset at me saying you hate cats, it wasn't intended but in the heat of this thread I did say it, but it certainly was to those that do, one in particular. If you would like my help in getting your birds back and up and running I would be leased to visit your garden and you can also visit mine as can anyone else when passing.

Rick,

I'm not totally without sympathy with what you are saying but I can only speak from what I've seen in my garden, regarding the Blackie if you and others read "My Garden" in the General Birding section you will find out they did very well both in 2012 & 2013 and without checking 2012, I certainly know that out of the five broods that were raised all grew up and none got nabbed by the cats.

JC,

I don't need to read the articles I know what is going on the world as I keep up to date with things. But thanks for taking the time to find them. All this isn't helping Colin get his birds back is it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL!

Kind Regards

JTG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hey up Colin,

It's five weeks since the last post have you had any luck in ridding yourself of the cats and have the birds returned?

Regards

JTG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi John. I put my feeders back out and in a 'safer' position and the birds have returned. They will just have to take their chances as the rural birds have to but it's when the chicks start squeaking, that's when the problem starts again eh.

I was wondering about keeping a couple of chickens (hens) I wonder what they might do….. probably ignore one another!

Someone may still come up with an answer.

Ho hum.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:41 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Well done Colin, never give up, instead of chickens I think a fox would sort out the cats :lol:

Cheers

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3