The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:38 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Twitter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Why don't LBC have & use twitter for reporting birds?
As most LBC members I'm sure have and carry a smart phone in the field and If not at least they carry a phone that recieves text messages and a PC at home.

It would be great to get and send bird news. to ALL other members so can we gave it?

To err is human. To really louse things up takes a computer

Post subject: Re: Twitter
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have got a Twitter account but have never really got into using it, I find the RBA website and LBC forum useful for getting information on my phone but I have to remember to keep checking it, (if I had today I might have seen the Icterine Warbler reported at Saltfleet).
I presume you can get twitter messages pushed to you?
Geoff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:18 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Yes Geoff I do get Twitter messages direct to my phone.
It's the best thing any active birder can do.

Like you I hadn't thought much about twitter either having had a pager for ever I thought I didn't need twitter and also feared possibly being bombarded with crap 24-7.
Little did I know how manageable Twitter really can be.
You only get info. from people or organizations you choose.
That means what you want, when you want it.
I have it set so Twitter also sends me a text when there's a mega. How good is that? I don't have to keep looking at the phone all day or worry about missing info. about a 1st for Britain either.

If all Linc's birders would start posting on @lincsbirders twitter site.
All I would set Twitter to send me is just that sites info. & my mega's.

You can if required just block any site or any individual who you don't want to hear from.

It's the best thing I ever did Geoff.
I really can't think of a single reason why every active birder, patch or county birder with a phone isn't getting info. via Twitter.

NB: I'm sure 'Birdinformation' are offering a FREE weeks trial oF. their service on Twitter. Give it a go you've nothing to loose.
You will get full UK bird info. Same as that on the pagers + website access for £40 but please do check their website at birdinformation.co.uk - Just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 am 
North Lincs Bird Recorder

Derrick
I just had a look at the Twitter site you suggested and its just full of vile obscenities and no reference to birds.
I don't know enough about this stuff yet but it's a good idea and a new Twitter feed would be great. Can you create one? @lincsbirdreports or similar?
John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:35 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

My apologies John.
I've only looked at the site on a few occasions and it was not well used hence my enquiry. In my defence I had only seen friendly banter on my brief visits but have just had a look at the @lincsbirders comments and was shocked to read such language on a bird news site.

I'm no expert on twitter but would be only to happy to open a 'lincsbirdsreports' or whatever twitter page (minus any abuse or swearing) if LBC are OK with it.

I'm sure all Lincsbirders would benefit. IF they bother to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 am 

Hi Derick

There already is one created by Andrew Chick a couple of years ago

@LincsNature

So how does one use it? Can I write directly on it?

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:03 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

Hi,

I have created a new LBC Twitter feed - https://twitter.com/Lincsbirding

There is a link on the LBC Homepage at http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk with a 'like' button.

Will monitor and see if it is used?? Over to you now Derick, please report back if it's working okay on the smart phone???

Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:05 pm 

It's working. got my first tweet about S-t Lark and I am the one and only Follower

Well done Andrew

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:30 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

[quote="Andrew Chick"]Hi,
I have created a new LBC Twitter feed - https://twitter.com/Lincsbirding
There is a link on the LBC Homepage at http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk with a 'like' button.
Will monitor and see if it is used?? Over to you now Derick, please report back if it's working okay on the smart phone???
Andrew[/quote:]

Many thanks Andrew its working OK my end.
Don't be too hasty if it doesn't get used much at first. It may take time but it is a good idea and the best time of year to start a Linc's instant birdnews site for sure.

Just one suggestion if I may Andrew. It might be a good idea to make it clear that 'Lincsbirding' is not a 'Forum' but purely for bird news only.
Imho we don't need a second forum. LBC forum is working just fine thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:18 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sorry Andrew but the new Twitter feed isn't working.
I got first few when I followed @Lincsbirding but nothing since.
I even sent messages to @Lincsbirding 3 times reporting a Shrike at Saltfleet but have not recieved anything from Lincsbirding twitter site.

NB: Ukbn saw the message and retreated it.
So they were sent.
Any thoughts?

PS: Don't understand why you have followed all those none Linc's bird sights please. Or for that matter anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I can now see where the biblical saying came from - "He spake to them in parables but they comprehended him not." From one of the older contributors and obvious minority who doesn't have and has no intention of possessing a smart phone!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Stuart Britton wrote:
I can now see where the biblical saying came from - "He spake to them in parables but they comprehended him not." From one of the older contributors and obvious minority who doesn't have and has no intention of possessing a smart phone!!

That really made me laugh, cheers Stuart.
Twitter isn't the problem by the way..

Remember that old saying. "Don't knock It if you've never tried it".
Well I'm thinking of getting a new smart phone soon and wondered If you might like the old on? Maybe you could write a few parables of your own... ;o)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Ok as someone who considered twitting was for twits with too much time on their hands can someone provide a brief summary of what it is all about and how this benefits us anf if I need to learn something new!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Graham Catley wrote:
Ok as someone who considered twitting was for twits with too much time on their hands can someone provide a brief summary of what it is all about and how this benefits us and if I need to learn something new!

Hi Graham.
I was of the same opinion and said as much after hearing my eldest grandchildren talking about Twitter. Not any more though Graham.
IMHO it's the best system for sending and receiving bird news, either locally or nationally there is at present. You don't need to carry a pager and a phone any more, as your smart phone will do both jobs.
You also never miss a message with twitter, even if your unfortunate enough to loose the signal for a while, you will still receive any bird news you may have missed as soon as you get a signal again. With a pager you don't!

I'm no expert on Twitter Graham far from it. I am still learning about it and it's been a year since I sent the pager back and signed up with 'Birdinformation' (Formally Birdnet) to receive birdnews from them via my mobile phone and I don't regret it for a second.

I'm sure there's drawbacks with every system and no one can argue there are no "Twits" on twitter but you are in control of what you receive, who you receive it from and how often. So if one of the 'Twits' did post anything you don't like, you simply block him forever with a press of a button. (Simples)

A Linc's birding twitter account could provide you, me and all linc's birders with 'Instant' bird news from a Linc's birder while they are watching a rare bird in the field. He/she could send the news from their phone direct to you or any other birder that has signed up to twitter and follows the Linc's Birdnews account.
The system is quite versatile enabling you to choose to also receive any Birdnews as a text message direct to your phone also or instead of a tweet. So you will never miss a thing.

Once you've signed up to twitter, you are able to receive any or all bird news from any individual or region in the UK. Or for that matter the world.
You are in control and will receive as much or as little bird news as often as you want to.
When you get home after a days birding or if it's raining out, you can keep upto date with bird news via your twitter account on your PC.

It must be easy Graham as I can do it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]