The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:29 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

With nothing to do on a wet morning I had a look at the current membership which now stands at 302. I was quite surprised to see that 90 of these had never contributed to the Forum including one who had been a member since 2005! Anyone got any ideas why - particularly anyone who hasn't posted before?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Stuart,

I've poised this question in the past, but never got any response.

Here is my take on your question:

It's not compulsory to post sightings.

Could be some of the members are disabled in some way and cannot post.

Some people prefer not to get involved but prefer to read postings of others.

Some members have in the past posted sightings and their word has been questioned (fact), thereby making them think is it all worth it.

Some members may not have a computer.

Where some members live it is maybe well reported so why should they bother.

Some members may think the forum is for twitchers only. ( IT ISN'T )

Some members may think that reporting common birds is frowned upon so don't really know what to do for the best. ( If it's any help I report ALL sightings).

And lastly until I think of some more reasons, when I first joined one well known member told me "we don't want sightings of Starlings unless it is a massive amount, or a Robin etc" , I took notice for a few years and then decided to ignore this stupid piece of advice and since then report all birds! Both this forum and the BTO want all sightings of all birds no matter how common.

Hope Stuart's thread gets those members who never post sightings to reply or at least the odd one or two.

If those who Stuart is aiming this at prefer then send him an email or PM, that way he will get answer/s in confidence and put him out of his misery :lol:

Kind regards

John aka Max

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:16 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

so what do you infer from the response ( or little in this case) so far Stuart ?
regards John

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I think the lack of response speaks for itself, John. Like many other things in life a lot of people take advantage of what's on offer but far fewer put anything back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Stuart

Just some thoughts..

The members who do not post on the forum may well be submitting records direct to the county recorders.

Not every member is able to count/watch birds on a daily basis and most can only get out birding if time or family circumstances permit.

Also their membership fee is still going towards the Bird Club and helps pay to run the forum so they are just as entitled to view the forum even if the do not post on it.

Regards

Russell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:53 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I agree to a point, Russell but the circumstances you have outlined doesn't prevent a member contibuting an occasional item of interest to the rest of the members - not just the County Recorder (Schedule 1 sightings accepted). However, we are all different so each to his/her own.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:05 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Stuart

this is something that I have been mulling over in a larger topic of the modern era of bird (ing) (watching) and the digital age - there is a huge debate to be had and when I get a few spare minutes I will post something for discussion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:07 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I've often wondered too? I viewed the forum for a couple of years before I actually joined but once I did I found that posting added to my enjoyment and it has helped me to get know many people I would never have met otherwise.

I suspect that some people are wary of the criticism they may get if they make a glaring error (which does happen - we are not all experts and have vastly different levels of expertise). A case in point is this weeks discussion on the Mega in North Lincolnshire. So discretion being the better part of valour - just keep quiet and don't open yourself up to ribbing or even ridicule

Perhaps the titles of the categories do put people off. Lincs Bird Reports generally ignore the common garden birds unless seen in unusual places or in large numbers. Just look at the entries for blue and great tit in the latest bird report virtually non-existant. I suspect some members want to support the work of the Bird Club but perhaps don't know the difference between a male or female chaffinch and certainly not a 1st summer or 4th summer herring gull. Our hobby is complex and gives enjoyment to millions whatever their level of expertise. We learn all the time and this Forum helps us all in that. It certainly adds to our enjoyment but perhaps a way to get people to contribute is to get them just to send in their records from their gardens.

I always thought that it must be boring to be as good at snooker as Steven Hendry was, but enjoyment does increases as your skills improve. I shall never be as knowledgeable as many members of this Forum and just like others discussing whitethroat or lesser whitethroat song, I do get very frustrated when I cannot tell that 1st calendar year herring from its older cousin but who knows what goodies may be seen tomorrow or if another piece of the jigsaw slips into place

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:38 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I send a monthly return to Colin and Sheila for Marston STW, which I visit 2-3 times a week, but rarely submit other sightings unless of unusual interest including Schedule 1 out of the nesting season. I'm out and about most of the day and must see hundreds of birds including dozens on my feeders and to be honest I don't have the time to note them all and post here. So where do we draw the line as to what we post and where from, even if time allowed? If I posted every bird I see in every location I would fill the bird report section most days and fill a good few note books as well.

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

All of the above "could" also apply to why people post their photo's elsewhere such as personal blogs & social media sites..ive noticed a drop off since the album changed..myself included..in my opinion it was far more interesting how the album used to be when latest images were on the front page, i used to view them all..now alot of pics dont get seen!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

It's interesting to read different members take on Stuart's posting.

But considering the number of regular contributors to the sightings section only a very few have added to this thread. Could this be they are on holiday, illness prevents, too busy with their blogs/websites/photo albums OR they are not interested OR cannot be bothered or some reason I can't think of :wink: .

When GPC gets a spare minute :wink: I will be interested on his take.

I wonder if anyone has contacted Stuart by PM etc giving their reasons etc.

Cheers

Max

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I enjoy posting to the group and do think Its important to get involved for many reasons.
Unfortunately I'm a little lazy and rarely check other than the sightings page and it can depend on what I'm doing, or even what's on the box as to if when I do post.

As for the lack of members posting.
I'm sure many members for whatever reason prefer to just read posts and lurk in the background and it only takes one misplaced comment to put them off for ever.

To err is human. To really louse things up takes a computer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:34 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Stuart,

From the amount of bird reports this week I think almost everyone must be on their hols :wink: .

Regards

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]