The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:49 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Its blowing a flippin' gale today,showers all week previously,overcast skys before that,darn cold below average temps,?ive never known a spring like it,and yet the weathermen just keep giving out the weather but never give us a clue why the weather is so out of sync?do they know something we dont?i dont know,
rog.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:11 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I agree Roger, everybody is absolutely fed up with the cold and the wind. It is bad for all wildlife, farmers and gardeners. We cannot hold the weather people responsible for what we have been experiencing but, despite all the modern technology, the forecasts are not nearly as accurate as they should be. Apart from whether or not it will rain, they often get the wind direction totally wrong. Even Michael Fish could do better!

Roy

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:49 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Roy,
Yes Ive grown a lot of flowers from seed this year,Cosmos,pholx,statice mesembreanthunms,yes them!!zinnia's,butterfly annuals etc etc,put half of em out but reluctant to put the others out,till a few days time..just hardening off in the day,back in the greenhouse at night......
Regards,
Rog.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Not to put a dampener on your hopes for the weather, from what I read/listen to on the telly and info pages I think the weather we have experienced this year could be the norm in future years :(

I hate the cold be it any season of the year, having no fat reserves doesn't help. I was sat in the lounge yesterday afternoon with my chair close to back window (with double glazing) and I could feel the cold coming from the window, so had to put the heating on :shock: I said to myself " bet it's damn cold at Grainthorpe and Rimac" where there is little chance of shelter except in the warm and comfy portable hide namely the car :)

I'd keep the plants inside because the weather person mentioned a frost, it's certainly cold enough. I've not been out since Monday PM and only went then for a scan.

Roll on the limited sunshine which we are sure to get, but more will definately suit me and my bones :D

Here's hoping [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Regards

Max

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:53 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

the jet stream is fluctuating much further south in recent years and especially the past 3 months
and therefore we are locked in cold north atlantic weather systems.
UK weather forecasts rarely show the jet stream whereas in the USA its usally shown
as its the main force driving our weather patterns.
Some climate models indicate the changes we are experiencing could become more regular,
( as John,s comment indicates) so stock up on your long johns , thick vests, warm coats, and gloves.
regards John.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

just bear in mind the jet stream, also the gulf stream which keeps us warmer than we should be. we are as for north as Canada who have great northern divers breeding at this latitude. we could be in for a real shock if we get the same cold winters and late springs as Canada. global warming does not mean we are all going to get warmer it is about the extremes of everything. I remember going to Nottingham castle with my dad when very young and seeing an oil painting of the annual goose fair being held on yes on the river trent which was frozen solid, that was before it moved to the forest area of Nottingham. the picture was around the 1500s or so. years ago it was a lot colder than now !!!. :( :( so get extra jumpers and all snuggle up, :D :D

terry whalin :D :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I was interested to see senior meterologists had studied the recent years of weather in UK
They were unable to give any answers to what was causing the run of poor weather over
the past 2 to 3 years , insuffienct data for analysis and conclusion one commented,
however it was recognised that global climate change was happening and was highly likely to
be a factor.

regards John.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]