The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:11 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:42 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Stuart
The society we live in is controlled by social networking, you may not be but when you look around town you will see groups of girls and boys all with their phones out texting completely ignoring eachother, it's a sad state we live in and im glad im not controlled by my phone like the others in my generation. I walk around my village near enough everyday and I walk around Covenham Res at least once a week and will take 2 other birding trips to a destination of my choice. But me walking around my village looking at blackbirds is not what I would call birding information. Birding information is me getting informed of what other birds are around the country, I know of all the birds in Briglsey so it's not birding information, to me it's just birds. Social network sites are the best way for me to get information so why would I go elsewhere? I'm young and for now i'm wanting to be out all the time getting lifers. Finding your own birds comes after once you've done the miles and seen some rare birds. There are many different type of birdwatchers; Twitchers, Weekenders, Ringers, Patch birders etc. We all have different motives so just because I check twitter to get my bird information doesn't mean i'm not out in the field.

UK life list 310 (Harlequin Duck)
Lincolnshire List 246 (Puffin)
Village (Brigsley) list 99 (Shelduck)

Thanks Anthony

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Let me explain,its as simple as this,
1,I dont have a honest clue what most of you are talking about,
"2,
I hardly ever twithch birds,i havent been for the dowithcher at alkboro,its 20 mins run,not bothered,hard to see,and theirs unpleasant birders id sooner not bump into,
3,you cant beat seeing birds in the field,rare,thats a bonus,or ordinary birds

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Remember Guys that this is just an open discussion and i not personal. It is not healthy to begin justifying individual circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:54 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

John T Goy wrote:
Daniel Newton wrote:

I find the best way to share information is still to talk to people! Nothing beats local knowledge and actually engaging in conversation will always give more colour than a two-line tweet or an alert on a mobile phone. Most of the birders that I have met on my travails around Lincolnshire have been nothing less than courteous, enthusastic and willing to share their stories and sightings and opinions. Conversely, being able to chat to visitors and offer what local knowledge I possess is one of the great joys of my volunteering as well.

Daniel,

You've obviously not been to Blacktoft :lol: Unless it's altered.

Regards

Max

John, you misread Daniel there. He was talking about Lincolnshire and as we all know Blacktoft is in a different county and a different set of people :lol:
James

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:30 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

James Smith wrote:
John T Goy wrote:
Daniel Newton wrote:

I find the best way to share information is still to talk to people! Nothing beats local knowledge and actually engaging in conversation will always give more colour than a two-line tweet or an alert on a mobile phone. Most of the birders that I have met on my travails around Lincolnshire have been nothing less than courteous, enthusastic and willing to share their stories and sightings and opinions. Conversely, being able to chat to visitors and offer what local knowledge I possess is one of the great joys of my volunteering as well.

Daniel,

You've obviously not been to Blacktoft :lol: Unless it's altered.

Regards

Max

John, you misread Daniel there. He was talking about Lincolnshire and as we all know Blacktoft is in a different county and a different set of people :lol:
James

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:37 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Dave Bradbeer wrote:
]If you are going to see a bird this weekend then consider this - you know what it is, where it is, how long it has been there, how well it is showing, how old it is. You may have seen photographs of it from every angle possible. Do you actually really need to go and see it? If you do manage to see it after your drive then what have you added onto your discovery, wonder, adventure and learning personal account?
. well said that man. =D>[/quote]

Well said indeed Sir!
As a relative newbie to this forum but a long time twitcher with pager always at my side and ruling my life for many years. I have asked myself those very questions. Why! and was it worth all the hassle but with so much time and money invested in my list, I continued the adventure. Sad eh? (No comment required please).

To be honest there is no discovery in twitching and the adventure went out of it years ago.
With the list getting longer and knowing exactly what the bird is, where it is, how long etc.etc. and having received superb photo's before leaving home. #-o
It's a fare question. "What have you (Twitchers) added onto your discovery, wonder, adventure and learning personal account?"

I wonder how much of my life I wasted on boats, planes and motorways around the UK before going 'Pagerless' at last! Returning to my real love of looking for and at birds again. (It was called birdwatching).

Not long after I signed up to Twitter, just for piece of mind you understand. I wish! Lol. :?

To err is human. To really louse things up takes a computer

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2