The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:44 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Poor spring birdin!
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I can only speak for MSq,as thats my local patch,but it seems to get worse every year in spring,when years ago,arctic/black/common terns in good numbers appeared along with little gulls,plenty of waders,common/green sands,the odd wood,turnstones/sanderlings/little stints etc,groups of bt godwits,whimbrels going over calling out,and now??bugger all/Ive not heard a Cuckoo yet!!,it dosent help of course reading the latest RSPB MAG,which highlights the mad swines still shooting anything that moves!!!and the Hen Harrier sad news,so in summary,things is not good,ie turtle doves now showing up as rare birds!!!,
Spring birdin used to be fun,its boring now..
Rog

Post subject: Re: Poor spring birdin!
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:39 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The lack of birds is one thing but what about the scarcity of bird reports!! It's 2230 on Sunday night (of a gorgeous day) and there is 1 (one) bird report for the day!!! Where have all the bird reports gone?

I don't get out enough to justify any of the rare bird alerts, am not part of a clique / group that passes information between members so it is nice to see reports however mundane the sightings are.

James

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Wish I could contribute more, but as I am dependent on my Dad to take me places, I can't. Now that summer's here and I have a functioning bicycle, I'll endeavour to post my observations a bit more regularly.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Rog,

I suggest you get another "hobby" to supplement your birdwatching, why complain, you recently saw an Osprey and an Hobby at MSQ, that would have been sufficient for some of us :lol:

Nothing stays the same as this year proves, be thankful 8)

James,

The lack of sighting reports could be down to hols, illness, personal blogs and websites, CBB, nothing worth reporting, let someone else do it or umpteen other reasons that just slip my mind :wink: A few years ago I would put three reports on a week, where as nowadays I rarely put them on cos I'm busy in the garden.

I've noticed in the last six months since we got quite a few new members, they are putting sightings on the forum. I would imagine if those with blogs write a report on it, they may not want to repeat themselves on here, but I may be wrong. I'll tell you if and when I get one.

One thing I have noticed over the years no one ever submits anything to the quiz page, no idea why, they added a little fun. Fun is something we had in years gone by but that has dropped by the wayside, pity :lol:

Regards

Max

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:47 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Why Complain??/Why is it with you this aggressive simple minded behavoiur?? has to ressurect itself everytime I or someone makes a comment,im stating facts about what birds used to appear in spring regulary and now dont,if youve nothing more to say than just winding people up dont bother at all,
This is the main reason I hardly ever come on here cos of this sort of carry on,if we cannot have a reasonable debate forget it..

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:03 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Roger Hebb, I well remember your vitriolic comments regarding my observation of a Marsh Tit at MSQ. To paraphrase your quote 'this aggressive, simple minded behavoiur'[sic] is the principal reason for my very limited LBC forum input.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I give up.....your Marsh tit at Msq,was not proven,I merely pointed out its never been recorded there,and im sorry you took great offence to that,
Rog

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:04 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Spring at Msq is the worst ever,what is going on?not surprising,there has been a general decline in spring passage for a long time,but this is just so bad..ive not heard a cuckoo yet!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:23 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Roger, 88 species of bird where obsereved in a day the other week at Messingham!! I don't know what is was like in the past but things seem to be okay at the minute, a number of warblers, Pied flycatcher, Gargeney and Med Gull. I appreciate that you don't get as many birds passing through but it's the same everywhere!! Most birds species are in decline and we are starting to see the effects of this now. Covenham Reservoir has been as quite as its been for a long time, I don't think we have had a scarce grebe yet this year, no divers, rarest duck being scaup..., only 4 Green sandpiper (1 group in January), 1 Wood Sandpiper and 1 Black Redstart wintered. Messingham is a great reserve I would love it as my local patch as would many others. Stick at it there's always something to be found out there :D

UK life list 310 (Harlequin Duck)
Lincolnshire List 246 (Puffin)
Village (Brigsley) list 99 (Shelduck)

Thanks Anthony

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:28 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

To Richard Gunn - you shouldn't let a bad rapport with one particular person stop you from interacting with this website to the detriment of all the other readers.

We all get comments from other members that may not be to our liking but that is life.

James

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:27 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Over 700 Spotted Flycatchers seen at Portland Observatory by 0900 this morning (Saturday) so Spring MIGHT be on it's way!!

Final figure was 1000 for the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:19 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Re-all the above comments,I do know what im talking about!,ive been going to msq since the 70's so please give me some respect for the facts im presenting on this site!ive had roger is vitriolic for disagreeing on a sighting,ive had wayne and others saying there's still good numbers of birds there-rubbish!!!and im sorry but thats what it is!!!there is not the number of passage birds coming throu over the last 10-15 years,i.e.tern passage nil,this year,wader passage,virtually nill,yes the odd little gull still puts in an appearance-god bless him,and gargeney is annual almost,and yes ive seen a honey buzzard and no it wont get accepted but I dont care!,each spring is getting worse...ive heard a certain birder well known to us all said to another who i know"its the worst spring hes ever known",
Instead of being patronizing and arguing about it all,we should all be working together to seek solutions to a massive problem,the awful decline of Turtle doves,Cuckoos are going the same way,ive not heard one this year!the continual blasting away in Malta and other euro countries of any bird that flies over,the intensive farming in this country which seeks to get every last inch of land,which is one of the reasons(thou not all)that turtle doves are down by 91%the weed seed they rely on,etcthese are all major issues we must all address,membership of the RSPB,is a must of course as they are doing there very best in all the areas ive outlined,
If we want a return to Springs we used to know we have to act now..
Roger.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I fancy Roger if we want a return to springs we have known we need a tardis -- bird populations wax and wayne but some are in terminal decline after 60 years of continual bombardment of the arable land with ever more efficient pesticides and herbicides nothing unwanted grows; when we ban pesticides that are too harmful (all are of course but as George Orwell would have said) some are more harmful than others) the chemical companies then send them to Africa and Asia where they kill the same birds in winter but in larger numbers as they are then more concentrated, it is a no win situation for wildlife while the human population grows by 200,000 a day and no=one dare stand up and say that is enough the world just cannot support more human beings! Only a catastrophic disease can save the planet but then we probably wouldn't be around to see the spring migration!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:16 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

As our generation lives through this change we can only consider the generations of birds and other connected life forms that are failing to adapt to be in the 1,000s at least. I fear that even if all things had an opportunity to bounce back, the ancient connections through evolution would take a planet's lifespan to re-relate. We chase around space looking for other places to live because we are killing this planet.

Maybe we are the last planet to harbour our species as we have already destroyed the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news/eg ... ng.html#cr

Sad - Steve

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next