The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:44 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I've been frustrated too many times when looking out over the Humber Estuary at brown dots, so I'm taking the plunge and searching for a spotting scope.

But there are so many options!!

I'd like to hear any good/ bad comments regarding different makes and models, straight or angled etc.
Looking to give digiscoping a go, so if you have any experience in this area I'd appreciate your input! :)

Currently have a budget of about £500-600, although I could potentially go up to £800. Of course, if it's worth it for a good scope, I can hold off for a while until I save a few more pennies!

Budget is to cover body, eyepiece, cover and tripod.

I'd like to try a range of scopes before I buy, so does anybody have recommendations on local shops/ reserves with a scope set up area?

Thanks in advance for the help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:01 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Many experts will offer advice on this subject, so before they do
I have always had good service from In Focus at Titchwell and at Rutland Water, they are set up to allow you the opportunity to observe birds on the reserves and at different distances. Go to the web site to see what they have on offer. They also have a optics day at Whisby NR on 17th Feb.
But take your time and do not be rushed into something you may not want later.
Good Hunting,
Mike Surr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:11 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I agree with Mike and I also recommend In Focus. I've been to there shop at Denby Dale and to an optics day at Tophill Low and Whisby ( at the time my pal was wanting a scope and after trying some out at Tophill decided which he wanted, but he tried lots before deciding). He finally got an Opticron.

Try ( can't remember the name of the business at Gunness who also sell from Water's Edge reserve) ????????? I'll add it when I remember.

It's minefield trying to choose one there are so many. Anyway best of luck.

Max

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Been thinking about getting this as a second smaller scope for when i am out on my bike, sold in America as the Theron Saker, if you search the Scope section on Birdforum you will find threads in which the yanks really rate this scope. http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Helios ... D60DS.html.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thank you for your replies.

Mike & Max - I got my binoculars from In Focus @ Martin Mere. Really good service, and they didn't pressure me to buy the most expensive pair. Actually encouraged me to buy pair that was £100 cheaper because I felt more comfortable with them!
I think I might go to one of their optics events at Whisby next month. Thanks for the heads up! :D

Dave - Some glowing reviews about that scope. Just goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent piece of equipment. I'm certainly going to be looking at scopes towards the lower end of my budget, so that's one for me to consider. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Georgia,

I use an Opticron which is a very good mid-range make and i have used the same model for well over 10 years, and have had no issues with it.
However i'm certainly not suggesting following my advice, just that lesser value scopes are by no means lesser quality.

If you can hold on for 6 months then i would suggest going to Bird Fair at Rutland Water in mid august, there you will be able to try, test and compare pretty much all the makes you can think of and go from there.

Remeber this is potentially a long term purchase(5-10 years) and you need to make sure that the complete setup is not too heavy, and is also suitable to your needs.

All the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:18 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Don't forget that the RSPB Frampton Marsh visitor centre have two or three RSPB branded scopes permanently set up for bird observation. Maybe worth a trip if only for the birds. RSPB scopes are good quality and very reasonably priced. The top line scopes excel as much for their reliability and robustness as optical quality (plus very long warranties) but if you are going to take care and not use it as a "professional" then the cheaper scopes are a good buy. I used to have a Kowa Prominar Flourite scope but eventually sold it and bought a smaller Opticron with no loss of usability as far as I'm concerned.

Regards

David

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The spec shown for the Helios 60 ed is incorrect for the weight and it weighs 1150 gms not 3700gms
there is also a Helios 80mm ED but at 389£. In focus and Cley Spy have a range os used scopes for sale
you may be interested in, i use a fixed mag eyepiece almost all the time as it has a much wider field of view and is brighter in poor light, ( Nikon ed 82 with 30 ww ), A fluid head on the tripod is a considerable improvement and worth the extra cost
as vibration through the scope will effect the quality of image viewed ( if its breezy) so purchase as a bundle to get the best deal .
regards John.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks once again for all your advice. Lots of things for me to think about before I part with any cash!

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:31 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I recently purchased an Auriol Spotting Scope from Lidl for £25. Quite a bargain! I am very satisfied with it, although so far I have only used it for astronomy (Excellent views of the Moon and Jupiter with three of its moons visible). I do not know whether Lidl will be getting a further delivery of them, although it would be worth inquiring.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

£25? Crikey, wonder how they can make them so cheap! I've got my beady eye on an Opticron scope at the minute, but still not set in stone, so open to suggestions! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aidan Turner wrote:
I am very satisfied with it, although so far I have only used it for astronomy (Excellent views of the Moon and Jupiter with three of its moons visible).

My ex-display Opticron can see 4 of Jupiter's Moons, as well as the rings of Saturn!

Well, through it, Saturn's barely any bigger than one of those little pin-pricks of light you see in a Field of Vision test at the optician's, but you can definitely make out the rings!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:13 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Try Nigel at Northern Optics (nr Humber Bridge) try before you buy as there is mere with wildfowl etc outside the shop!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:34 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aidan Turner wrote:
I recently purchased an Auriol Spotting Scope from Lidl for £25. Quite a bargain! I am very satisfied with it, although so far I have only used it for astronomy (Excellent views of the Moon and Jupiter with three of its moons visible). I do not know whether Lidl will be getting a further delivery of them, although it would be worth inquiring.

Out of interest Aidan, was the Lidl Scope any good for birdwatching? Aldi had some in for £20.00 the other day and was nearly tempted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hello Georgia,

It could be worth going for second hand to get a better quality 'scope. I also can endorse In Focus.
I bought a second hand lightweight pair of binoculars, Zeiss 8 x 30, from London Camera Exchange - quite old but optically like new for less than half the price.

Regards,

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next