The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:20 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I was down at Worlaby tonight and the hot topic of conversation was the possibility that the 'owl' area will be ploughed over to arable in October. There are many rumours about the details but one thing struck me, this change of land use is in the hands of the land owner. It will be a business decision in the end and those watchers of wildlife will have to accept things.

It is therefore extra comforting that Nature reserves exist. Sometimes nature reserves are regarded as a peculiarity of nature, an oasis that does not comply with general land use, a place where things are preserved in isolation. This may be true but it is also true that they will be around for a long time. They should not be ploughed up for business purposes and those wildlife watchers can feel comfort that a reserve that gives them so many memories will be there for generations to come.

We must treasure our nations reserves and remember how helpless we are as we look on at that tractor taking away such a fabulous place.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:08 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I agree with all you say, Andy but in addition there are a growing number of farms throughout the UK which are "LEAF" farms (Linking the Environment with Farming) - see www.leafuk.org/leaf/home.eb My Barn Owl Monitoring Programme site is on Sir Richard Sutton's Settled Estate based at Hall Farm, Stainton-le-Vale is a LEAF farm and the whole 5000 acres are farmed with wildlife in mind. Vine House Farm in the Deepings is another excellent example and more and more farmers are joining LEAF. It is well worth going to the Hall Farm Open Day which is usually in June every year and you will see that farming enhances the environment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Stuart

While I agree that the farms you quote are fine examples (and I attended the Hall Farm open day last year), surely you meant to say in your final sentence farming CAN enhance the environment. We all know many cases where ploughing land up and spreading nitrogen on old grassland has destroyed the environment. Unfortunately at the moment farming does not enhance the environment per se.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Phil,
My point is that the type of farming undertaken at places like Hall Farm DOES enhance the environment. I agree that there are too many instances of bad farming practices adversely effecting the environment but let us praise those that don't!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43941

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Andy,

I remember one of our members telling me a couple of year back that the "owl" field was going to be ploughed up. I only visited a couple of times last year and that field had more ragwort than I've ever seen before anywhere.

Although I'm not in agreement with it being ploughed up, it is after all the farmers land not ours. I don't know who the farmer is but other members do. I remember when the scrapes were done there was talk of an hide being erected but that has never happened as far as I know.

There is similar habitat only a long stones throw away to the north of Worlaby so if the field is ploughed up it's to be hoped the owls use this.

On a slightly different subject wasn't there going to be a wind turbine/s at Worlaby, if so it wouldn't be too healthy for the owls would it, even though they hunt low to the ground.

I'll check out for epetition, I've done them before.

Good subject matter Andy.

Cheers

Max

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I fully appreciate the pressures of land management and especially for farmed land. I also appreciate those farmers who actively try to work for some benefit of wildlife. These people are priceless as they command large areas of land and have a true impact on the more common species. There are also farmers who turn land into a sterile production process. These tracts of land speak for themselves as it is very apparent that there are very few species sharing this space.

As wildlife watchers we too are guilty of hypocrisy in so much as we expect farmers and the like to consider their actions but we support the infrastructure of corporate businesses within our lives. Large scale businesses dominate our shopping, energy supplies and transport and we embrace it. Farmers are no different. Machinery and science push capabilities of scale and efficiency in all corners of life.

It is these vulnerabilities to the global culture which is focused on financial growth at speeds that are not conversant with natural cycles that hang heavy. We watch an environment that shouts out its plight but we are small, even collectively.

It is therefore wonderful that nature reserves survive and we should make every effort to support their work and long term presence. Reserves allow us all that rare state of mind that can dare imagine a safe place for generations of wild things not yet born.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]