The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:07 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestions needed!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:39 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

So.... Finally passed my driving test and bought a car! Now I'm free to roam the Lincolnshire countryside in pursuit of birds!

Please give me your suggestions as to where I should go first. I go to Barton on the train and I've been to Gib a couple of times, but apart from that, I've not really experienced many Lincolnshire reserves.

Ideally somewhere with fairly easy access for my first time, but I do have a sat nav to (hopefully) point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :D

Post subject: Re: Suggestions needed!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:44 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

That all depends what you want to see? Are you into twitching or just want to go watch birds? Far Ings is quite good at the minute so to is Gib Point. Frampton Marsh probably Lincolnshires best reserve is always worth a visit but is a horrible drive from Grimsby.

UK life list 310 (Harlequin Duck)
Lincolnshire List 246 (Puffin)
Village (Brigsley) list 99 (Shelduck)

Thanks Anthony

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:03 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Georgia,

Forget the boring drive down to Gib etc till the weather gets nice and sunny plus the daylight hours are longer. There are plenty of places to visit "up north" and only take a fraction of the time to get there. May not get the greatness of Frampton or Gib but you won't be tired out from all the driving :)

Although I've not been anywhere since October that shouldn't matter.

Worlaby and Bonby Carrs, MSQ, Alkboro Flatts, Barrow Haven, North Killingholme Haven, Black Bank, Laughton Forest, Scotton LWT Reserve, Epworth Turbary, Crowle Moor, viewing Reeds Island in fact anywhere around north Lincs is good on it's day.

If you want to go a little further but but still in north try the Fitties, Tetney, Cleggy, Bardney Wood etc

Try and get a copy of GPC's Where to Watch birds in the East Midlands published 1996 ISBN 0-7136-4460-5 I found it to be a valuable addition to my birdwatching and it still is an excellent reference work to anyone who wants info on that area.

That are loads of members who have local knowledge and I'm sure will only be too pleased to give you info required.

Another good spot to watch and has (or at least had the last time I visited) the addition of a snack bar on site and that is over the Humber Bridge to North Cave Wetlands. Not forgetting Blacktoft Sands.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind regards

Max

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:37 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thank you both for your suggestions. Plenty to keep me going for the time being!

I think I might give Gib a go, as I pretty much know the route anyway.

Anthony, can I just ask - what makes the drive to Frampton so bad? Is it just boring or are there some nasty roads?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:57 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

To Frampton there are lots of bendy roads, also driving through Boston can get you confused if you don't know where your going

UK life list 310 (Harlequin Duck)
Lincolnshire List 246 (Puffin)
Village (Brigsley) list 99 (Shelduck)

Thanks Anthony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks for the reply Anthony. I get easily confused, so probably best i don't try that just yet!

Ventured to Gib yesterday - it's a nice drive, but a little bit disappointing if you arrive to a thick sea mist!! Never mind, at least I've had a go at it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I was at Gib yesterday and it was lovely & sunny until late morning but then what a change, the fog came in and refused to budge! Resorted to picking out the odd birds in the gloom from the hides in the afternoon but it was hard going and eventually gave up.

regards

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Saw your fantastic pics of the RLB against a clear blue sky - really wish I'd got there earlier!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]