The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Which energy generation developments would you support in Lincolnshire
Poll ended at Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 pm
Coal power station 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Oil power station 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Nuclear Power station 13%  13%  [ 13 ]
North Sea Gas Power Station 12%  12%  [ 12 ]
Fracking gas power station 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Biomass power station 13%  13%  [ 13 ]
Offshore wind turbines 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
Onshore wind turbines 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Solar 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
Improved energy conservation measures 18%  18%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 99
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:09 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Given the debate and vocal opposition against wind power by some members lets see what the wider membership wants.

I've listed the main possibilities for power generation that are currently available, though I've included fracked gas which has only recently been muted. Recognising we need an energy mix, each member can vote for 5 of the 10 options they think would be best for Lincs given their individual concerns/prejudices.

In order to give everyone plenty of time to consider I've left it open for 31 days.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:02 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

To date, 137 views but only about 12 people have taken part in the survey in 5 days - perhaps 2013 is the year of apathy, Phil.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:03 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

loads of time left Stuart, av only just seen it and cast my votes. Some people prefer not to get involved.

Considering how many members we have and how many put out regular reports ie only a small percentage, then it is asking a lot for a large percentage to cast their votes in the poll, isn't it?

Good luck!

Max

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:53 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I must admit I'm a bit bemused by the lack of input so far. But I'm concerned about John Goy and his wind up. Better out than in I say.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I'm surprised that there is no suggestion of Wave Power in the poll.

Richard....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thats because at the moment there is no proven technology operating on the english east coast as far as I know and I've not seen it suggested for the Lincs coast. If anyone knows of any plans please post a link. Also you can only have 10 options in a poll and they are already used.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks for the info, Phil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Guys.
This has been in operation for a couple of years now, near Immingham i think, don't know any efficiency results. http://www.theengineer.co.uk/news/news- ... 05.article

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks Dave thats very interesting, I see from Neptune's website that the prototype was deployed in Jan 2012 on a jetty off The Deep in Hull and started generating last April so it will be interesting to see what the first years results will show when they are announced and how quickly the technology is taken up commercially.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:21 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Phil Espin wrote:
I must admit I'm a bit bemused by the lack of input so far. But I'm concerned about John Goy and his wind up. Better out than in I say.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:34 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have mentioned before that all of these ventures into power generation could be the beginning of something that serves the future well. That estuarine turbine is another method and another line of discussion. It costs a lot but as some of the comments suggest, we are looking at it with short term eyes. I don't really know of any current supply that has a reasonable cost. We do also look at demand and think of satisfying it. Should we not think that our demands need lessening?

We should not let money cloud what we are trying to achieve, innovation is the difficult part but innovation can inspire a mind. What next ?

you tell me?.................not easy is it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:52 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The poll has now ended and its a surprise to me that with 5 votes available per person and 99 votes in total, that as few as 20 members took part. The only conclusion that can be drawn from this small sample is that the impact of energy generation methods on birds is not a subject that troubles the vast majority of LBC members.

Perhaps that is because most appreciate that the really serious bird killers in Lincs are cats, cars, buildings and habitat destruction.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Phil Espin wrote:
Thanks Dave thats very interesting, I see from Neptune's website that the prototype was deployed in Jan 2012 on a jetty off The Deep in Hull and started generating last April so it will be interesting to see what the first years results will show when they are announced and how quickly the technology is taken up commercially.

I heard on the radio today that Neptune has ceased trading mainly due to the equipment not producing the power expected to make it viable.

This link confirms it http://www.neptunerenewableenergy.com/news/

James

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:16 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Phil.
Apologies but I don't often enough check the 'Bird chat forum', so missed your poll.
As the poll has ended I presume there was a link somewhere which expired.
Being a newish member having never voted in an LBC poll before, I wondered is that how it works?

Not surprised to see that 'Coal power stations' got just 3% and came second from bottom just above 'Fracking'.
Joe public obviously must still have the perception of coal as a very dirty fuel.
Some friends of ours even commented recently just that, as we passed some cooling towers belching out what they described as "that horrible pollution" (Steam).
Making them and many others no doubt somewhat ill-informed about 'Coal fired' power station in general and about the technologies at their disposal to create much cleaner power generation.

One of the system products used by coal fired stations, like 'Cottam' for instance gets rid of those all polluting gases, while also creating as a by product that I understand is sold back to gypsum manufacturers/suppliers.
Apparently it makes the generating companies a whole lot of money while at the same time producing a much cleaner product.

To err is human. To really louse things up takes a computer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Derick Evans wrote:
Hi Phil.
Apologies but I don't often enough check the 'Bird chat forum', so missed your poll.
As the poll has ended I presume there was a link somewhere which expired.
Being a newish member having never voted in an LBC poll before, I wondered is that how it works?

Not surprised to see that 'Coal power stations' got just 3% and came second from bottom just above 'Fracking'.
Joe public obviously must still have the perception of coal as a very dirty fuel.
Some friends of ours even commented recently just that, as we passed some cooling towers belching out what they described as "that horrible pollution" (Steam).
Making them and many others no doubt somewhat ill-informed about 'Coal fired' power station in general and about the technologies at their disposal to create much cleaner power generation.

One of the system products used by coal fired stations, like 'Cottam' for instance gets rid of those all polluting gases, while also creating as a by product that I understand is sold back to gypsum manufacturers/suppliers.
Apparently it makes the generating companies a whole lot of money while at the same time producing a much cleaner product.

I was one of the few to vote for coal power stations, many people have been brainwashed against coal,yet with plenty of coal left in the ground it is still one of the cheapest forms of energy and with modern technology it is clean. As Derick says, plenty of steam comes out of the cooling towers but not much smoke.
As we surely go into the mini ice age we will regret shutting down all our power stations.
Geoff

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next