The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:38 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Waxwings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

As we are enjoying another "Waxwing Winter", the post below - 'Reflexions on the Waxwing Winter and Spring 2010/11' - may be of interest, especially for new members.

Freddy

Post subject: Re: Waxwings
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Everybody else seems to be seeing them apart from me..... sob...... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:53 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

You're not the only one Katherine! I've only ever seen 2 waxwings.... And that was a few years ago! I even managed to miss the huge fall of 2010/11.

Keep searching! Maybe strap some apples to your sleeves when you go out....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Katherine and Georgia,

Trying to catch up with Waxwing flocks can be a most disheartening and frustrating experience. I personally have had as many dips as successes, probably more. You will notice that many reports are the result of fortunate drive-by sightings throughout Lincolnshire, and not necessarily from revisits to a reported site.

However, they can be reported from a 'regular' stakeout but when one visits, there's no sign of them. The reason is that Waxwings often feed on a "circular tour" basis, flying from one berry site to another and perhaps to others. As a result, a 'regular' site might only be visited a couple of times or so during normal viewing time in the day; and they don't always stay long either so one can easily miss them. Fortunately, there are some sites where they do hang around for quite a time and hopefully one or two of these might be in Boston and Cleethorpes in the near future.
Good Luck!! :D :)

Regards,

Freddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks Freddy, I'm certainly going to keep my fingers crossed that one or two drop into Cleethorpes at some point. I suppose I can't expect them just to sit around posing for me!

That's one of the things I love about bird watching... nothing is ever guaranteed, which makes it that little bit extra special when you finally get to see the bird you've been waiting for. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:33 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Just read the umpteen reports of the Waxwings here there and everywhere but defo not in my garden :( :shock: . There are still loads of berries left mainly because the Blackies are not acrobatic enuff to reach the ones out on the slim branches, it's funny watching them attempt to get the berries but to no avail =D> .

Oddly the Starlings have been a few times and not bothered getting them thankfully, either they have bad eyesight or memory loss, cos other years they have wiped them up quick sharp, but earlier than now.

As Freddy says nothing is certain in birdwatching, I just live in hope that when the 2010 or 2011 Waxwings came to the south-west of town they remember to come again and pop into my garden [-o< :lol: may be they don't like wild cherrys :?

Regards

Max

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:29 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Time for a mass outbreak of cotoneaster planting in my garden.... ** digs up dad's lawn **

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]