The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:11 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Ruddy duck
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:21 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

John Badley's references to culling cats on Acsension or Rats on Henderson Island would be perfectly valid if we actually had White-headed Ducks on our Island. However, am I to feel that I am helping to save the Henderson Island seabirds every time I shoot a rat in my garden? What's the difference? The Oxford Dictionary's definition of logic doesn't cover your post John.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:16 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Freddy Johnson wrote:
Thank you, John, for some interesting and relevant comments on this ongoing Ruddy Duck debate.

The more I read on the subject, the more it all seems to hinge on the scientists/taxonomists/fellow travelling conservationists' fixation on both the 'heritage debate' and the absolute necessity of the 100% purity of a species and , I fear, an even further fixation now, as with any "cause celebre", a relentless desire to see the project through to the very end...despite any new factors which might have emerged in the meantime.

'It thus becomes a tragic tale of racial purity, of avian ethnic cleansing by the 'professionals' who look at a species as sacred, sacrosanct. The reality, however, is that nature is in a constant state of flux. Conservationists have indeed found a ready scapegoat in the Ruddy Duck and are actually just diverting attention,and money, away from the real issues of massive environmental degradation.'

As the Guardian article quoted below states : Last year, some European countries with Ruddy Duck populations, (ignoring the very unlikely threat of being fined) gave up trying to kill any more birds for both financial and logistical reasons. Further,some websites tell us that the Ruddy Duck is thriving in Portugal and that there are also several thousand WH Ducks thriving in Spain.....seemingly unaffected by the Ruddy Ducks across the border.

......and the Guardian article :........

The Guardian article of 8th March 2012, appearing on Google if one keys in " Final 100 Ruddy Ducks in the UK facing extinction ," tells us that :

"The cull has killed 6,500, at a cost of £5 million, and the Goverment is about to spend a further £200,000 on the remaining (100 or so) birds." Anyone, but anyone, except a totally blinkered pro-cull individual, must agree that spending £5 million plus on eradicating a species of bird in the UK so as to preserve the 100% racial purity of a species in another distant (1000+ miles) country is a VERY large sum of money and a very questionable project. Some might even add that the money could have been better spent on 'bird protection' rather than 'bird extermination'.

One now begins to wonder if the whole project will be quietly shelved in Continental Europe while the ever-compliant British are left isolated as usual, and counting the cost of an unpopular (just look at our ongoing poll figures),short-sighted, gung-ho, very expensive (and in the end, pointless) adventure ..............not forgetting the bodycount of some 6,500 unfortunate Ruddy Ducks.

Freddy

Hi again Freddy

Interested in your additional information. If it is true that "The ruddy duck is thriving in Portugal" (next door to Spain) I would have thought there is absolutely no point whatsoever in culling them here in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:35 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

......and there was I, in all innocence, thinking that RSPB was an acronym for The Royal Society For The Protection Of Birds....silly me!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Members taking part in this mainly good-natured debate will perhaps have picked up points to help them decide on how to vote in our poll.....which closes tomorrow (Wed).

However, the missing piece of the jigsaw is "How did it all begin ?" Just as the Iraq saga began with a WMD 'dodgy dossier', did in fact the Ruddy Duck saga begin with a WHD 'dodgy dossier' ?

Members can decide for themselves by reading the following web article, written at the very beginning of it all way back in May 1993, from the Guardian's Archive Blog ......and noting that at the time of the EC culling directive "fewer than a dozen hybrids" had been found in Spain AND "no ringing recoveries" reported.....AND nobody knew the country of origin of the parent male of the hybrids : was it perhaps Spain ?

KEY in on Google : hasta la vista ruddy duck

A VERY interesting article !

Freddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:02 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Well there we are with one day to go before the Poll closes. The topic has produced reasoned argument, emotion on both sides, pure speculation, an education for non-Guardian readers etc. etc. Unless there is a sudden rush in the next 24 hours, only 60 out of 268 members (22%) have voted. Of these, 16 out of 60 (26.5%) are for the cull to some degree and 44 out of 60 (73.5%) are against it. As far as the LBC is concerned, the vast majority don't really have any feelings for Oxyura jamaicensis or can't be bothered to vote!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:09 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I fully understand some people just dont want to join in to forums be it post photos or comment on others thats fine but a few more voters in the poll would have been nice as it gives a broader view.
Rob.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4