The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:50 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:20 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The Pyewipe area was excellent on the foreshore with plenty of Black tailed and Bar tailed Godwits and a stunning flock of over 1,000 Golden Plover but no sign of yesterdays Avocet or the juv Glaucous Gull. Pyewipe is an excellent spot for waders, its a pity the hide looks as if its been napalmed.

Homebase had what turns out to be a second, 3 cy Iceland Gull and the fish docks held a 1st winter Kittiwake. Biked along the seawall from North Quay to Wonderland Cleethorpes hoping for a Purple sand, but double whammy, no bird plus a puncture. The situation was redeemed by an incredibly kind tax driver who put my bike in the back of his black cab and gave me a free lift to a bike shop in Cleethorpes. Fitting the replacement inner tube wiped out my tenner so no fish and chips for lunch.

Cleethorpes boating lake did not have yesterdays Barnacle Goose and what looked like a hybrid Barnacle/Canada, but there was a Pinkfoot with the Greylag flock. Are these 3 regulars at this site?

Flock of 80 or so Snow Buntings on the outer dunes viewed from close to the "train station" described as Humberston North Sea Lane.

Disappointed that the male Ruff featured on GPC's Pewit blog was not on Humberston Fitties pools, but luckily there were 4 different ones on the adjacent field to the south with the footpath across it.

Picked up 3 Barnacle Geese with the Greylag flock in the pasture field to the east of North Thoresby Fisheries.

Back home after 7 hours and 43 miles for a reviving glass of whisky.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:33 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

43 miles thats some trip! Sleep well tonight

The boating lake normally holds Barnacle geese and the canada hybrid normally is with the barnacle. The pinkfoot has been a regular for over a year now there was two birds this time last year, there is also an interesting White-fronted goose on the boating lake aswell. Every so often something different pops up I had gadwall on there the other day.

UK life list 310 (Harlequin Duck)
Lincolnshire List 246 (Puffin)
Village (Brigsley) list 99 (Shelduck)

Thanks Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks for the info Anthony, do you know if the hybrid has been there long and did the hybridising take place in Cleethorpes, I imagine quite a bit does :-)

I was impressed with the number of Pochard, found them hard to find by bike so far this year. Popping out for a couple of Batemans shortly, will definitely sleep well tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 pm 
North Lincs Bird Recorder

Phil

Obviously the lift also wiped out these additions to your green list which is a great shame after all that effort. Get Schwalbe Marathons (as these are puncture-proof) on your wheels and just cycle up there again. It's character building

John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thats harsh John ...

Take nothing but photos - Leave nothing but footprints - Waste nothing but time

My website: http://www.birdmad.com
https://www.facebook.com/dean.eades1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdmad/
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk
http://www.Canon.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have a handlebar bag on my bike Phil and carry a set of tools puncture repair kit spare tube
small first aid pack, ( having hit the tarmac after skidding on black ice once)and handwipes. You could argue, If you backtracked to the point of your puncture then you will have done the full journey and thus be able to claim your green sightings, regards John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 am 

Harsh but fair. i once walked back from the far side of Covenham with a puncture to maintain the integrity of my green list and as Phil is a man of great integrity...

John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:11 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

:lol: Not sure which of John's jokes was funnier, not putting these birds on my green list or me being a man of great integrity.

A few more facts: I had walked along the prom at Cleethorpes and was near the pier, the offer of the taxi driver to give me a lift to a cycle shop was generous, unsolicited and uplifting to my spirit, it would have been churlish to refuse. In the event the lift was around 400m and I did indeed retrace this part of the route to return to the prom as John Walker suggests. I did not have a repair kit with me as my last one was with my old bike when it was nicked and I had not got round to replacing it. I rectified that this morning. The diversion works out at 0.4% of my journey, a trifle and totally incidental to my main purpose. I refuse to give in to the talibanisation of green listing, it is a bit of fun, and as with all lists its up to your own conscience what you count.

By the way I did sleep very well last night and after a couple of hours digging this morning will do so again tonight.

Finally a request, as this has got a bit beyond "Lincs bird reports" can a site admin move it to bird chat please.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:30 pm 

Well it's becoming clear which is the more likely. I refer the homourable member to the event I mentioned above when walking back from Covenham (after you'd gone on without me) I too was offered a lift - by a lady in a sports car. Unlike some I turned down the generous, unsolicited offer, kept my honour and green list intact and walked home.

John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Where would you put a bike in a sports car?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:38 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have no 'green list' and yet my integrity, honour and character are never called into question. Am I missing out on something special here ?

Today I watched 3 Barn Owls, a Buzzard and a mixed flock of 100+ Fieldfares and Redwing at Nocton Fen from the comfort of my warm car. I shall add them to my list of birds under my "(warm) car sightings". I was going to stand outside my car at one stage but after much thought I declined the character building challenge, as did the occupants of 3 nearby cars; they were obviously all 'missing out' too....... probably on catching pneumonia.

Freddy
PS. It's not that I don't like a physical challenge. For example, I'd love a cold shower first thing every morning but, having some masochistic tendencies, I always find myself taking a hot one instead. That's real life, of course. :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]