The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:56 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: LWT Reserves
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

In the "Non-Lincolnshire Birding" section there is a current topic about a Gamekeeper's Prosecution. John Walker has made a comment on this thread re NatureReserves/Parking Charges for Non-Members etc. It highlighted an issue that has bugged me for some time.

When I joined the then Lincolnshire Trust for Nature Conservation in the 1970's, access signs to all their Reserves stated "Members Only - Access by Permit only". It was a "perk" of being a member. That does not appear to be the case now as the signs make no reference to limited access. The logical presumption is that LWT Reserves are unconditionally open to all - possibly a condition of grant aid and other funding.

I have assumed that anyone can now have unlimited access to most LWT Reserves whether they are members or not. If this is correct, why should anyone join the LWT other than having the satisfaction to having contributed to their upkeep? Am I right??

Post subject: Re: LWT Reserves
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Stuart

Don't know the answer to your question but speaking as a supporter of the "right to roam" law I'd like to think it is possible LWT support this law too, with of course all the exclusions for particularly sensitive sites which would presumably apply to members also.

I support the LWT and have been a member nearly 40 years, by the way who is the longest subscribing member of LWT on the LBC forum I wonder (3 cheers to them in any event).

I am a member because I support the principle of a locally based conservation body concerned with Lincs wildlife, not in order to get in the reserves. I would think free general access to reserves is a great way to promote the work of the trust and to recruit new members.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:54 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I see your point of view, Phil but why should I pay my subscription when anyone (in your words) has the right to roam wherever they want, including LWT Reserves! I presume you support the Raves that have happened on LWT Reserves and the detritus (including human excrement) that some of us voluntary wardens have had to deal with! Under your terms, when an LWT Warden comes across anti-social visitors he has no form of redress and has to let them do as they want. Is that what you think is a good idea because I don't!! As a LWT member for only 37 years I may be out of touch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:20 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The right to roam comes with responsibilities which include not "raving" and leaving excrement (human or dog) everywhere or causing damage of any kind. If such damage is being caused that is criminal behaviour in my book and could not be condoned. In those circumstances I believe a warden would have the right to ask some one to leave and with people like that a sign saying "access by permit only" would not make much difference.

Such people are a small (albeit irritating) minority and many people will enjoy occasional damage free use of LWT reserves without being members. I cannot see any problem with that and as a member do not begrudge these people access.

There are of course other sensible limits on the right to roam, like private gardens and agricultural crops. But as a basic principle I share the view of many that people should be able to walk where they are not causing damage or intruding on the privacy of others.

I guess you should pay your subscription because you support the LWT and what it does to further nature conservation in Lincs. In fact, and as an aside, a contribution to a charity given under deed of covenant so the trust can reclaim income tax on the membership fee, should be given without any expectation of benefit like exclusive access to reserves. It is possible coming back to your original point that is another reason why LWT allows free access: to maintain their charitable status.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Stuart
You are correct - grant aid is responsible for the "softening" of policy, which happened primarily around 1998 when the Trust recieved £1.1 million for a 5 year project to improve the infrastructure of the reserves from the Heritage Lottery Fund. As we have subsequently recieved large sums of public money, often for land purchase, from the Lottery, Landfill taxes, Local Authorties, Natural England etc, it would be difficult to exclude the 'general public' as indirectly they have all contributed.

A considerable sum is now recieved through agri-environmental subsidies for reserve upkeep, again funded by the tax-payer. But membership still accounts for £500,000+ a year, which is still the single biggest source of income for the Trust. Without membership income the reserves would suffer dreadfully, so if all the 25,000 members took that attitude, we would be in a parlous state.

In a way you have answered your own question "If this is correct, why should anyone join the LWT other than having the satisfaction to having contributed to their upkeep?"
That is all we can now ask.....that you feel good about generously putting your hand in your pocket for the last 37 years and to know you have made a difference to the county's wildlife. I also know the amount of your own spare time you have put in to the management work on the reserves as well, which is hugely appreciated.

The reserves do continue to be the "shop window" of attracting membership. It is quite easy to use the moral "If you enjoy visiting this reserve, would you like to help with its upkeep?" when meeting non-members on site.

Car park charges. These are only at Gib Point, Snipe Dales and Whisby, where they have been put in place by the Loacl Authority landowner. For the Trust to provide free parking on these sites, the Inland Revenue would consider this a "perk" for members and we would loose the ability to claim back VAT - which would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year. RSPB and National Trust can afford to do it as they are huge charities compared to LWT and can take the 'hit'.

I hope that goes some way to answer your question Stuart. If you do meet non-members on site, use the moral argument "if you enjoy this nature reserve so much and enjoy walking around it on a regular basis, how about putting your hand in your pocket to help with it's upkeep?" Or as you have done yourself (as a fine example), ask them if they would like to come out on work parties as well!!!!!

I look forward to seeing a flood of LBC members joing the Trust this week! You too can be the part owner of 10,000 acres of some of the best bits of Lincolnshire for only 87 pence a week! :D

Dave Bromwich
Head of Nature Reserves
Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:24 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Dave,
Thanks for your usual informative reply. On reflection, my gripe is against those non-members who ignore some of the restrictions (ie No Dogs). Voluntary Wardens and the LWT have very little or no sanctions they can impose if they are not LWT Members. Don't worry, I will continue my Membership and enjoy my local Reserves!
Stuart

Last edited by Stuart Britton on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:58 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

If my memory is correct, not sure that the Right to Roam act covers nature reserves. For when the act was first introduced, there were very few places in Lincolnshire that had that Right to Roam, being intended for, Downland, Moorland, Heathland and coastal land.
Farmers who leave the 9m tracts of land round field boundaries for nature, often complain that the public see them as rights of way which they are not.
As a member of the Trust, it is annoying when you see, especially at Gib. Point, holiday makers and dog walkers paying the same as me to park their cars.

Mike Surr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:13 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

RSPB do not offer a 'right to roam' to non RSPB members, unless they pay an entrance fee, and are then normally tagged to verify payment. I think that a payment levied on non members is right and proper. Perhaps LWT could initiate such a policy.

Richard.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

that is incorrect Richard, they are not tagged, people are given a numbered round sticker and this is to know how many people visit the reserve for which they get a grant from the government,
thats all as far as i know, its just an accounting issue,

terry whalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:17 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Quite, after the non members have paid.

Richard.........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:04 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

been a member / fellowship fee, paid since i was young, always contributed financially to conservation so i do not know if non members are required to pay but i do not see much handling of cash going on at frampton, titchwell, blacktoft etc in fact i am puzzled by this. i take field trips out for the rspb from our local group and on visiting reserves cannot recall ever being ask for a fee when we open such trips to all members or not. i know this is not the case for the lwt where if you arrive by coach a fee is required whether a member or not, think it was only £1 per person at gib. still all these reserves are staffed, managed and as such require funds so these places are enjoyed by all. if everyone just turned up and expected free entry and no contribution either they would not last long. so think next time you use these facilities provided and looked after by others to preserve our wildlife.

terry whalin :D :wink:

ps i am a pensioner but i still donate :D :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

ive been reading all the reports about lwt reserves as a volunteer warden and helps the trust one or two days a week when i can at gib and at other places i like what i do as the petrol prices as the are i do it becouse i injoy it when ive done a job for the trust the all ways say thank you i still have to pay for my car park ticket as well even iam working at gib whats seven pounds a year a fish supper . the car parks is as far i know knot own by the trust thats whay the is a charge some one from the trust mybe will tell us i will ask this on friday whan iam at work at gib . going on about the right to roeming when iam out working for the trust the are still places i cannot go even if iam working .unless iva been told to go and do study in them ares john lusby .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:20 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

John,
I accept what you say but I think it's wrong that a keen volunteer like yourself should have to pay a car parking fee for the priviledge of giving up so much of your time for the LWT!!!! It is irrelevant who owns the Car Park - when I visit Gib on Courses I park (free of charge) at the back of the Field Station. You, and other volunteers should do the same.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]