The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks James for sticking your head up. I am strongly for renewable energy, wind farms being part of it. If we could turn the clock back a century or so I wonder what birders would be saying about the new fangled motor car? Its' impact on reducing avian populations has had a much greater influence than wind farms ever will!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:06 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

As you will know Stuart, the anti-brigade (whatever the cause) will always be more vociferous than the pro lobby. The antis also do not care about the accuracy of evidence or claims as "mud sticks", which usually assist their chosen cause.

I will admit that part of 'my crust' is earn't from the offshore wind industry, as well as the petrochemical production and coal burning industries, so i have a vested interest in the discussion. However, i am not daft enough to think that all is rosey and that Wind Turbines and their construction are wonderful.

I know full well that money is 'wasted' in the industry and that the equipment is inefficient and we will still need back up power sources when the wind don't blow or blows too much. As Phil stated, the alternatives are / will also damaging to the environment but the evidence of the damage will not be so easily highlighted on video.

Unfortunately, we cannot all work in a politically & environmentally correct jobs, where no damage is caused to the planet or it's creatures but we can do our bit to try and help cancel out the negatives.

James

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:21 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have always thought that whether wind farms are the most efficient, environmentally friendly way of producing power or not, i believe that our excisting power sources are unsustainable for the lifestyle people seem to wish for.

Wind farms may be the beginning of the change. A change that we urgently need. We may look back and see this journey as the moment that we discovered THE way forward.

Birdwatching rides on the back of resource abuse. A luxury born out of excess. A wonderful luxury and a pleasure we all understand. Whether climate change or carbon production is really the reason behind our demise or whether it is our catterpillar habits of chomping along and digesting all that the earth provides is an argument of all arguments.

Money is the evil of all judgement and wisdom sits in the corner.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2