The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Apex Lakes Hykeham
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:54 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Met the notorious Mr Mason last sunday morning,while watching 4 pinkfeet.
Informed that the road from the fox and hounds will be tarmacced within the month all the way to the sailing club.The entrance is securely gated now.There'll be a ten foot barrier to the millenium lake next.
Work has started converting the Foundary Lake to a private fishing lake.(expect cormorant culls soon)Steel gates,barbed fences and a track around the perimeter.Access/parking for the anglers will be through grace avenue along the allotments.Whether this will be private access I dont know.I thought there was to be a path/Sustrans cycleway through whisby to swanhome lake;looks out of the question now.Apparently,landowner wants no-one to cross his land near the by-pass,leaving a path to now-where from grebe lake,whisby.A private wilderness!I thought it great that the proposed housing on the allotments was vetoed,now I'm thinking they'll demolish the foundry and build on that,big style.
Rant over,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eric

Sorry I've just found your message! The cycle way you refer to in your thread above was voted out by the Whisby Steering Board last year. I don't attend these meetings but think it was for Health and Safety reasons. I am unaware of any neighbour/landowner who refuses access to his land near the by-pass. Perhaps you could clarify this as you seem to know something that we don't at Whisby. I don't know what you mean by a path to nowhere from Grebe Lake. If you mean the path that leads to Teal Lake from the north east corner of Grebe Lake (under the by-pass) then we hope to have this open just as soon as the infrastructure is in place (fences, foopaths etc). There will be a path down the western side of Teal Lake linking the north west corner of Apex Pit. I am hoping that I can also negotiate access, primarily for birders, elsewhere at Teal Lake but details haven't yet been finalised. It's a shame that Butterleys Pit (aka Christ College Pit, Foundary Lake etc etc) is being turned into a fishing lake, it would have made a good addition to Whisby! Please remember that Cormorants cannot be culled without a license. Although the new gate at the Fox and Hounds entrance is a pain, as it now makes watching the gull roost from the relative comfort of a car impossible, remember it is still possible to walk into Apex and birdwatch from the track that surrounds most of the Pit. Or, I guess, you could join the Sailing Club and get the combination for the lock!

No need for a rant Eric, just need to adapt to changes!

Grahame

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]