The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:25 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gibraltar Point...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:28 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On previous visits to this reserve, I feel I'm not 'getting the best out of it'.

1 - Whereabouts on the coast is the best site for birds?
2 - What weather conditions are best to see large numbers of birds?
3 - Where are the best spots to do some seawatching?
4 - Where is the best spot to watch birds during migration? Do migrants favour one area over another?

Post subject: Re: Gibraltar Point...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This is my favourite location but it can be very hit and miss. It is such a large area that birds can disappear anywhere
It can be a migration hotspot especially in autumn when the wind is blowing from the north-east. Then it is safe to say that the dune s (east & west) can turn up anything. Spring time and all the warblers will be around in these areas too. The plantation is also another spot worth spending much time around
Obviously the hides overlooking the Mere, Jacksons or Tennyson's Sands will have wildfowl and waders and other goodies
As for sea watching try Mill Hill or the East Dunes or even even a walk along the tideline - never easy but worthwhile. Look out for the advertised high-tide wader watch usually in the autumn. A spectacle to remember
Gib is a frustrating place when some days you seem to see nothing but when you look at what you have recorded you'll think that wasn't such a bad day after all
I suggest you scan the records posted on the forum (plenty of those or treat yourself to the Gibraltar Point Wildlife Report then you will see how wildly scattered records can be
No matter how good a day you have had you will meet someone who has seen something that you have missed. Every time you go you learn something different too
It is no good going for a couple of hours - the whole day I would suggest and if you do get bored you can always pop into the cafe for a piece of their excellent cake
Happy hunting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Chris Grimshaw wrote:
and if you do get bored you can always pop into the cafe for a piece of their excellent cake

Yummmmm....... have indeed partaken of their cake...... 8 out of 10 on the Scrumptious Scale!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:27 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Katherine

Apologies for overlooking your message on this section. However, the info from Chris pretty much says it all. I think most people have their own favourite part of the site. Mill hill is really good spot to watch visible migration ........the next batch of south westerly winds should be really productive.

Kev

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]