The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Manby Flashes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi I need information on Manby Flashes. I am planning a week's holiday to the East coast and plan to visit a different site each day. I have heard references to Manby and when on one of my many futile visits to find the Sea Eagle, I made a visit to the village, I had no luck finding the hide either (not one of my better days!). I would greatly appreciate directions to it starting from Mamby Church. I am particularly interested in visiting the flashes as I hope to find a bearded tit this year, without having to go to Norfolk. Thanks in anticipation.

Post subject: Re: Manby Flashes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:34 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Coming from the coast on the B1200 turn left at crossroads (traffic lights) in the village into Carlton Road. After less than a mile turn left into Church Lane (immediately before the church). Follow the lane to the bottom which gets narrower and narrower. Right at the bottom (its a dead end) is a small sewage workings and there is space for about four cars with careful parking. There is a small hide just over the stile
The co-ordinates for the site are 53 degrees 21 minutes 15 seconds - 0 degrees 6 minutes 38 seconds according to Google Earth
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Chris Grimshaw wrote:
Coming from the coast on the B1200 turn left at crossroads (traffic lights) in the village into Carlton Road. After less than a mile turn left into Church Lane (immediately before the church). Follow the lane to the bottom which gets narrower and narrower. Right at the bottom (its a dead end) is a small sewage workings and there is space for about four cars with careful parking. There is a small hide just over the stile
The co-ordinates for the site are 53 degrees 21 minutes 15 seconds - 0 degrees 6 minutes 38 seconds according to Google Earth
Hope this helps

Chris;
Wow! that's what I call giving directions. Thank you so much, very much appreciated. I did venture down the road you mentioned and spent most of the time reversing to avoid various agricultural vehicles. It appeared to be privae agricultural land. Bird guides gave the area as being on the other side of the main village road, so no wonder I found it difficult to locate. Not sure the juxtaposition of sewage works and hide is the most attractive of pairings, so better pack the nose peg just in case! Thinking back over my very short birding career I have not found a single new bird in an unattractive setting. I'm sure many others have though!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:01 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Not sure if the workings are still active as I have never noticed the smell
There is also another area close by which is commonly called Levee Doors. Turn left onto Carlton Lane at the church and it is about a mile further down the road just over a bridge over a small stream It is on the left but not viewable from the road. It means climbing a gate. It was good for green sandpiper last year but I was told a couple of weeks ago that it was very dry
You can see the area clearly on Google Earth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:52 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Chris Grimshaw wrote:
Not sure if the workings are still active as I have never noticed the smell
There is also another area close by which is commonly called Levee Doors. Turn left onto Carlton Lane at the church and it is about a mile further down the road just over a bridge over a small stream It is on the left but not viewable from the road. It means climbing a gate. It was good for green sandpiper last year but I was told a couple of weeks ago that it was very dry
You can see the area clearly on Google Earth

Yes Chris I am sure I visited it trying to find the flashes. Is it on a tight bend with a fence and notice saying private property, keep out? Had a look in but only saw the usual about.
Steve

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]