The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Honey buzz
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Looks like the plethora of Honey Buzzards is underway with 1 over Blacktoft this morning,apart from the influx year and 1 sighted with dave disturbed from the ground at broughton woods one year,ive yet to see a Honey Buzzard fly over me on passage,ive spent hours and hours every year at Whitton top where you would think would be a great vantage point,high on the hill top looking over the humber,my left looking over towards blacktoft,to my right yorkshire hills,at the times when thses birds come over,ive seen common buzzards flying dead straight high looking like poss honeys but on close study have always been common.my point therefore is im very suspicious of so many sightings.
The Honey Buzzard is a rare bird and i cannot think the numbers claimed on passage can match up with the numbers breeding-no doubt Alex Lees will prove me wrong?
and having said that,I will probably see one this afternoon.!!.
Cheers,
Rog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 pm 
Associate PBC Member

Remember Roger, many of Britain's passage Honey Buzzards aren't British birds. Also remember they are a (comparitively) common bird on the continent.

You don't need Alex's science to prove you wrong this time ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:26 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oh well that explains it then,ive obviously been very unlucky missing all these zenophobic birds. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Roger - you should re-read Graham's article hosted on LBC:

http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk/articles/Honey_1.htm

I was living in California in autumn 2000 and have only seen one migrant Honey Buz in Lincs* - a migrant at Gib on the 29th May 1993 that won my team of crack kidlisters (the original Lincslisters) the prize for best bird found on race-day!

*despite plenty of inland effort between 1990-2000

Lab Associate
Cornell Lab of Ornithology,
Cornell University

http://www.freewebs.com/alexlees/index.htm
@Alexander_Lees

Post subject: buzz
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:18 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Alex,
Yeah,great article by gpc,interesting indeed,I think your somehow agreeing with my point,sounds like it.cheers for now,
Rog.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]