The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:58 am 
Web Master
Web Master

Hi

I’m planning a visit to Gibraltar Point next Tuesday, i have been to Gib once but that was about 27 years ago (i saw my first LRP there – i was 8 years old!). I’m also a regular reader of the Lincs Bird Forums.

Could you please post an item for me of your forum asking firstly, where are the best places to look at Gib for migrants; and secondly what the general consensus is about the recent RB Shrikes (and Wryneck – although i understand that this has now moved on) hanging around until next Tuesday?(!)

Also, as someone with very little direct knowledge of that part of the coast, what am i likely to see in terms of scarcities (and where to look), and specifically, what are the chances of catching up with Skuas, Greenshank, Wood Sand (all common birds that have so far eluded me this year)

Finally, i read an earleir post stating that there is work going on to (re)build a hide on Tennysons(?), can you please ask if this is having a detrimental effect on the numbers of birds seen in the area and am i likely to be dissapointed?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Mike Feely mike.feely@btinternet.com

Kirkby in Ashfield

Notts

Post subject: Gibraltar Point
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:28 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Mike

I'm afraid the red-backed shrikes and wryneck have moved on now and I wouldnt like to predict what scarce migrants you could see next week without having an idea of the longer term weather forecast.

The buiding work at Tennyson's Sands is not disturbing the birds as much as I had expected.

Anyway, if you have a day here; worth doing the lagoons at Tennyson's Sands and Jackson's Marsh early on then getting int the dunes to check for migrants which can turn up pretty much anywhere.

The sea is always worth a look as there are good nos of sandwich terns fishing offshore, attracting skuas.

The tern roost builds up late afternoon at Greenshanks Creek - they can be watched from the west side of the creek without disturbing them and on the rising evening tide reasonable nos of waders may come up.

If you can stay til dusk, up to 2000 swallows and martins are roosting at the Mere and two barn owls are showing well here too.

Hope this helps - more detail in our annual wildlife reports obtainable form the Visitor Centre or 'where to watch birds in E Midlands'

Regards

Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:39 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Mike asked me to thank those that passed him information about Gib. Hopefully he had a good day today

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]