The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:24 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Drones
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:47 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Will the growing use of mechanical drones (both for pleasure and commercial use) pose more of a threat or an opportunity for birders?

This summer I have twice seen them being flown low over the RSPB reserve at Tetney Marsh and the adjacent beach (Can't see that being encouraged at Frampton.) In truth, the little egrets didn't seem too much bothered.

Will birds adapt - just as they do to the activities of military aircraft at Donna Nook?

Have there been any records of drone-bird collisions?

Post subject: Re: Drones
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:38 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Excuse the French Jim but sod the birds! It's more a case of whether i will adapt or of I end up on a charge of ABH.

Had some morons flying planes / drones over me at that point the other day. I only just stayed calm :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:10 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Trouble is that most people aren't the slightest interest in the wellbeing of birds.

You only have to hint the slightest misgivings about things like drones and you're liable to be labelled a killjoy, a spoilsport, a Luddite, a bird geek, a do-gooder or an effing twitcher.

No doubt drones will become more and more popular, for both pleasure and business applications, and any environmental impact will be put down as a price we have to pay for progress.

In the near future, I can well see them being used (sometimes unscrupulously) by photographers seeking unusual aerial shots of rare nesting species - or perhaps breeding seals at Donna Nook.

That said, I understand they do have a role, when used judiciously, in monitoring habitat that is hard to access.

Does the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust have a policy on drones being flown at reserves such as Gibraltar Point?

Has the RSPB issued any guidelines? It surely ought to be at the forefront of any debate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:21 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Jim, I have seen an instance this year where a drone has been used to locate marsh harrier nests to ensure they were not destroyed when harvesting a crop. The hen bird sat on the nest and was not disturbed during "droning". It seems to me that as with all technology there will be extremely helpful applications like this one, and more destructive uses when the technology is in the hands of an idiot or any irresponsible person.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:10 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks, Phil, that's positive. I wonder if other species (eg lapwing or Arctic tern) would have been as docile as the harrier. I suppose the altitude of the drone is a factor.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]