The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:56 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: What will be the impact?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

https://assets.dongenergy.com/DONGEnergyDocuments/horns/Hornsea%20Project%20One%20project%20summary.pdf

What will be the impact on Lincolnshire's birds of the proposed 240-turbine wind farm off the Yorkshire Coast?

Work is due to start later this year, with completion scheduled for 2019.

The area will apparently cover 58,500 times the size of Blundell Park, home of Grimsby Town FC, and the tips of the turbine blades will be spectacularly higher than the Humber Bridge towers and Grimsby dock tower.

Daytime observers tell me that birds have "avoidance strategies" - they fly above / around wind farms or they adroitly weave a safe passage though the turbines.

But what about after dark, especially if there are sudden squalls, gales, mists or heavy rainfall?

Will there not be massive collision fatalities - affecting fieldfares, redwings, wrynecks, larks, starlings, waxwings, terns, auks, skuas, shearwater, raptors, swans, geese, ducks, phalaropes, golden plover and a host of other waders? :(

If so, what will be the impact on the bird populations not just of Lincolnshire but all the way down the East Coast from Yorkshire southwards? Not to mention those of Northern Europe. It could be like Silent Spring revisited.

Even without collision, there will surely be huge displacement, affecting seabird feeding grounds as well as migration patterns.

There are already numerous wind farms in the North Sea, but this one will be the biggest of the lot - and it may even be extended.

It seems almost as if another deadly barrier to migration is about to be installed - without a word of alert (or even caution) from any of the wildlife protection organisations.

The RSPB seems to send out mixed messages. It is generally supportive of wind farms - except in specific cases (eg near gannet colonies). As far as I am aware, it has not expressed an opinion on this particular project.

The wildlife trusts seem to take a similar stance

Admittedly, I don't have a shred of evidence to support my concerns - I don't want to be a needless scaremongerer.

Please can someone in the know convince me that my worries are totally misplaced and that everything will be all right on the night?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]