The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:40 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nocton Fen/Wasps Nest
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

just decided to take a drive down to Nocton Fen/Wasps Nest to have a look out for owls, especially if the pair of Little Owls on the traditional barn, had in fact been a breeding pair. I was horrified when we got to said barn to see the roof had been ripped off. Do any of the regular birders for that patch have any clues as yo the fate of the Little Owls?

Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:16 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Andrew,

A rave took place in that barn earlier this year and the owl boxes were deliberately damaged. I have found little owls at two other barns on the fen this summer, but only accessible, with consent, from farm roads.

John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks John. We were saddened by the destruction of this site and worried about whereabouts of this pair of LO's. Hopefully, the other sites will have a little more protection.

Andrew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:00 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

Please note that I was contacted by the Estate prior to the start of works.

I checked the nest boxes and bat boxes (under licence from Natural England) prior to the start of the works.

The estate is keen to maintain the owl population on site, and I have been working with them to ensure that there is no inadvertent breach of the legislation that protects both schedule 1 species of birds and European protected species within the buildings.

This is on-going work, and I hope I can report back on progress over the next few months...

Andrew Chick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:49 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

Update: Nocton Fen

The open fronted building (with the missing roof and known locally as Bridge Farm), located on Nocton Fen (National Grid Reference TF 11415 66922) has now been deemed unsafe after further structural damage and vandalism. This is the building mentioned in Andrew Vaughan original post.

People familiar with the site will be aware that until last year little owls had successfully bred in this building (within owl boxes supplied and monitored by Mr Alan Ball and Mr Bob Sheppard), but failed in 2015 due to disturbance.

At the request of the estate, I inspected the building at the end of February 2016 and the two owl boxes were removed under licence. I understand that the remains of the building will be demolished in the near future.

I am working closely with the estate (Beeswax Farming) to ensure that the conservation of owl species continues across their farms, and can assure concerned birders that they are installing more owl nest boxes (4 installed since Christmas and 6 programmed to be installed over the next two weeks) than they are removing. My initial impression is that they are keen to promote wildlife, and to date have been proactive in implementing conservation initiatives.

If you have any questions regarding this specific site, please contact me direct….

Andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

Update: Nocton Barn.

Today (24/01/2017) the rubble was removed from the site of the old ‘rave’ barn.

Prior to the removal of the rubble a selection of the larger pieces of concrete was incorporated into the earth bank and TWO little owl nestboxes were placed within the 'feature' with gaps to allow the birds easy access, but prevent predation from foxes etc... It is hoped that the little owls will adopt this new feature and nest again this year?

Since the ‘rave’ barn was demolished the birds have remained within the general area, showing how site faithful these birds are even when the building was removed! I will monitor the site this year to see how successful this initiative has been….

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]