The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

I am pleased to report that the Lincs Bird Club Report 2013 is now at the printers and I am expecting it to be printed in the next month.

I would like to mention the incredible effort that Andrew Henderson has put into this report and he is responsible for many of the innovations that appear in this year’s edition.

I would also like to thank everyone for all their hard work compiling the report, supplying the data and submitting the photographs. This is a massive team effort and everyone should feel proud to be part of such a worthwhile publication.

Thanks is due to the Contributing Authors: John Badley, Graham Catley, Andrew Chick, John Clarkson, Phil Espin, Chris Grimshaw, Andrew Henderson, Grahame Hopwood, Phil Hyde, Steve Lorand, Ian Macalpine-Leny, Dean Nicholson, Garry Steele and Bill Sterling.

Also, thanks to the photographers who supplied images: Graham Catley, John Clarkson, Barry Clarkson, Roy Harvey, Russell Hayes, Mark Johnson, Paul Neale, Keith Seaton, Paul Soulby and Paul Sullivan.

Data Sources used in the 2013 Bird Report include the RSPB (from Frampton Marsh, Freiston Shore and Tetney), Heronry Data (BTO and Barrie Wilkinson), BTO WeBS Data, BTO BirdTrack Data, BirdGuides Data, Deeping Lakes Site bird recorder (David Griffith), Gibraltar Point Dataset (Kev Wilson and Richard Doan), Gibraltar Point Bird Observatory (Mick Briggs), Far Ings NNR Dataset (Andy Sharp and the Far Ings Bird Group), Forest Enterprise (per Graham Catley), Scunthorpe Ornithological Society (Wayne Gillatt), Whisby Nature Park Dataset (Grahame Hopwood), Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust (Dave Bromwich, Grahame Hopwood and Barrie Wilkinson), Ringing Report Data (from The Boston Ringing Association, the Mid-Lincs Ringing Group, Gibraltar Point Bird Observatory, Wash Wader Group and the Birkland Ringing Group for submitting their annual ringing reports), Grimsby Areas Members Group (Bill Sterling), Barn Owl, Little Owl and kestrel Data (Alan Ball and Bob Sheppard), North Lincolnshire Marsh Harrier Monitoring (Graham Catley), Alkborough Flats Partnership, Woodcock Data (BTO/Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust) and BTO BBS Data (Sarah Harris).

All records that are submitted on the LBC Forum and via the online records system are collated by Colin and Sheila Jennings. The amount of work that Colin and Sheila do in gathering these records is outstanding, and forms the lynchpin for this report. We are grateful to Chris Grimshaw and Carl Annall for helping Colin and Shelia with data input.

Thanks also to the Lincolnshire Bird Record Committee - John Clarkson, Graham Catley, James Siddle, Andy Sims, Phil Hyde, Dean Nicholson and John Badley AND the group secretary - Roy Harvey.

Finally….

This report wouldn’t be possible without the records of its members. There are almost 300 individual contributors listed in the 2013 report – Thank You!

If I have missed off anyone, PLEASE let me know!

Andrew Chick & Phil Espin (on behalf of the Lincs Bird Club)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:27 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

That's quick! Most impressed!

Is there a prize for first to guess correctly the bird on the front cover?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:27 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

No prize, but your welcome to guess...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:56 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Osprey? Either that or icterine warbler?

Am I warm?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:18 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Pacific Swift is my guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

For obvious reasons I'll go for a repeat of the 1992 cover - White-throated Sparrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:22 am 
Web Master
Web Master

Icterine warbler was a head shot only.. so no.
Pacific Swift (we have included ALL six images of this bird in the report) but they were not front cover quality.
White-throated Sparrow, two images included in the report, BUT not chosen as the 2013 cover.

Some years the choice of image is really easy, other less so...

The selection of the front cover depends of species, location and photographer (e.g. it can't always be a very rare bird (this isn't just a rare bird report), it can't always be at the same site (e.g. not at Frampton again this year), and can't always be the same photographer.)

2008 - Grainthorpe
2009 - Barton-upon-Humber
2010 - Frampton RSPB
2011 - Ruckland
2012 - Frampton RSPB

So, the clue is a major Lincs site (somewhere between North Lincs and Frampton) not yet represented...

Hope to have the printers draft on Monday/Tuesday and all will be revealed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:27 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Gibraltar Point GPC's picture of Hume's Leaf Warbler

Also no White-throated sparrow because it was suppressed ?

UK life list 310 (Harlequin Duck)
Lincolnshire List 246 (Puffin)
Village (Brigsley) list 99 (Shelduck)

Thanks Anthony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:46 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Re the info on the white-throated sparrow being "suppressed", what does that mean?

Is that the case? if so, why? Who would want to "suppress" the info?

For all I know, there are perfectly good explanations, but some clarification would be helpful.

Otherwise, it's all a bit Agatha Christie.

Re the front cover pic, evidence from the recent past suggests a flight shot is favoured by the editorial panel. I'm sticking with osprey.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim,
Suppressed is a term used by some birders when the location of a bird (usually a rarity) is not disclosed to all and sundry. Personally, I believe that if a bird is at a site with public access then there is no problem but at a private or particularly sensitive site then it may be prudent to temporarily withold the information before informing the County Recorder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sorted! Thanks, Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:37 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

The LBC 2013 Front cover...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:40 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Good choice, well done Paul, a fine shot that suits the cover well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:50 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Well done me!

Strictly speaking, it's not an osprey but it's close enough - certainly far closer than the other entries.

I claim the bottle of Scotch! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:07 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jim Wright wrote:
Well done me!

Strictly speaking, it's not an osprey but it's close enough - certainly far closer than the other entries.

I claim the bottle of Scotch! :D

Osprey and the raptor on the cover both have a white belly so there are similarities:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]