The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:11 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 am 
Web Master
Web Master

Regularly birding a local patch is one of the most rewarding aspects of birding.....

Over the past ten years, the birding fraternity has witnessed a notable shift in attitudes away from national year-listing and twitching towards rarity-finding and patch-working. As well as the contemporary benefits of cutting fuel costs and carbon emissions, great pleasure can be derived from learning a patch inside out: observing how the seasons change, appreciating commoner birds that wouldn't otherwise get a second glance and, of course, the potential for finding the occasional scarce or rarer species.

So, what could enhance the patchwatcher's enjoyment even further? Birders are a naturally competitive bunch - lists, numbers and finds all mean a great deal to us, whether personally or sharing with peers. Logic suggests that a friendly patch competition would be a great way to inspire us to work our local spots that little bit harder, as well as to interact with similarly minded individuals across the country.

Over the last 2 years, the Patchwork Challenge has engendered friendly competition among avid 'patch-watchers' and inspired more people to focus on a nearby patch. This year PWC participants have been encouraged to add value to their day-to-day observations by logging them in the BTO BirdTrack system - http://blx1.bto.org/birdtrack/, through the addition of comparisons of Complete Lists and total number of records submitted.

Why not sign up at http://patchworkchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/ and reply to this message to say which area you have taken on....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have again signed up to take part in PWC next year having enjoyed taking part this year.

My 3km sq patch comprises Boultham mere, the fields between my house and the mere including Swanpool wood and the old Skew bridge tip, and the northern part of Hartsholme park to just south of the white bridge. All this is within the Lincoln City boundary and on an area threatened by development.

My list is totally green with all the birding done on foot from my house.

This year, with 3 weeks still to go, I have recorded 118 species on the patch and submitted 246 lists and 9109 records from my patch to Birdtrack.

Highlights this year have included Little Tern & Hen Harrier (both new for the patch), Whooper Swans, Pink-footed Geese, Shelduck, Pintails, Goldeneye, Goosanders, Grey Partridges, Bitterns, Little Egrets, Red Kite, Marsh Harriers, Hobbies, Peregrine, Water Rails (bred), Woodcock, Snipe, Whimbrel, Curlew, Greenshank, Common Sandpipers, Yellow-legged Gull, Iceland Gull, 2 Cuckoos (used to be common), Barn Owl, Kingfishers (bred), pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, Raven, 4 Willow Tits (used to be regular as did Tree Sparrow which I now haven't recorded for 2 years), 2 Cetti's Warblers, Nuthatches, Spotted Flycatchers, Redstarts and Wheatears.

As Andrew says, give it a go, you could be surprised at the enjoyment of doing a local patch.

Andy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:50 pm 
North Lincs Bird Recorder
North Lincs Bird Recorder

I visited the website butI can't see how you define the patch. can anyone help?

John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:16 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

I've signed up to do an inland 'green list' around my village...

I've spoken to the patchwork team, and there is a possibility if enough people sign up, then we could create a Lincs mini-league...

Andrew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:36 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

In terms of defining a patch and setting up its 3km2 in any shape but we prefer people to make them workable patches not 3 foot wide and 50 miles long nor spider webs to massively increase coverable area. We have mapping tools on the blog and a copy of the scoresheet which you enter your species and it tallies up your scores and adds bonus points for rare and scarce birds. Here are the joining instructions from last year:

http://patchworkchallenge.blogspot.co.u ... o.html?m=0

It has the links to the original rules and score sheets etc.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks for the recommendation Andrew! I’ve signed up for the Patchwork Challenge with an inland green-list also. My local patch which I have named “Aubourn, Lincolnshire” comprises Wath Lane from South Hykeham to Aubourn with the adjacent paddocks/arable fields alongside it, the farmland south of Blackmoor Road defined by the Defra bridleway and North of Blackmoor Road up to the Witham and including Blackmoor Bridge wetland, a fraction under 3km sq.

Regards,

Ben.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:03 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I hope to join in but can't seem to get an acknowledgement to my registration or find a way to define an area.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]