The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:12 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:11 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Does anyone share my misgivings about various aspects of falconry/raptor-keeping?

The general public perception seems to be that it is a noble and impressive pursuit to keep birds of prey and perhaps hunt with them.

But is it not likely that birds of prey - especially owls - are put under stress by captivity? They look particularly forlorn when tethered to the grass at country shows, sometimes in bright sunlight? I am pretty sure there will be some luckless specimens at next week's Lincolnshire Show.

Even at quite small village fetes, one of the "attractions" is sometimes a fellow who turns up with a pet eagle so that all and sundry can take photographs of the hapless bird and perhaps stroke the feathers on its head. The same thing used to happen at seaside resorts, usually with some miniature breed of monkey, but that would now be frowned upon.

Sometimes barn owls are brought into school as a break-from-lessons " treat " for pupils and as an introduction to the wonders of "wildlife"

But, however well they may be fed and watered by their owners (who are probably very caring and well-meaning) , I can't help feeling that raptors in confinement lead a glum existence.

I realise I may be in the minority on this. On Springwatch recently , Chris Packham had a a barn owl on his wrist as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Admittedly,it didn't seem distressed,but who knows?

I can't imagine he would have done the same with, say, an osprey, or a non-raptor such as a stone curlew or a corncrake.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]