The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:21 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: the mimic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:42 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

sitting on Alkborough hillside yesterday I heard a Common Buzzard mewing in a hedge below me? must have mistaken where the call came from; but over 30 minutes it was repeated several times -- I had an inkling what the culprit would be but it was really interesting to actually see a Jay appear on a fence post and to see its bill opening as it performed a tone and pitch perfect Common Buzzard call; Jays are of course great mimics and are well known for their Tawny Owl calls but this was the first time I had actually seen one doing a call to know 100% for certain that it was that bird doing the Buzzard call --

Post subject: Re: the mimic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have to confess my ignorance as I didn't know that Jays mimic Tawny Owls. Indeed I thought that mimicry was restricted to certain species when they sing - Marsh Warbler for example. What is the benefit to Jays of sounding like a Buzzard or a Tawny Owl (during the day?)?

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:11 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

A "theory" i have read about is they "might" mimic other birds..especially birds of prey to prevent the real bird encroaching on the phantom birds territory!
Graham has thrown up a fascinating subject!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thank you Graham. Yet another instance of how easy it is to be deceived by aural observation alone. I admit I didn't know Jays were as adept mimics as other corvids.

It is worth googling 'bird mimicry'. There has been limited research into the topic of why birds mimic and the results appear somewhat speculative. The link to the most informative site I have found is http://birding.about.com/od/Sounds/a/Bird-Mimics.htm

When we lived at Nocton I was often persuaded to dash outside to see the migrating curlew passing over only to find myself fooled by the starling singing from the rooftop. I suspect this was a case of a varied repertoire being utilised to impress a mate.

John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Life would be so boring if we didn't learn now and then.

Thanks GPC :)

Regards

JTG

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]